Replacing Edge/lopro Edge With A Zr Tremolo

I just won a ZR tremolo ($50) and I decided to replace my lo pro edge on my RG550-560.

I know some modifications are needed

- Bigger trem post hole

- Routing for ZPS

has anyone attempted this or have any tips?

(repost from Jemsite, Ibanez Forums and SS.org)

Why would you want to....The low pro is the best bridge there is IMHO

I do like the lo-pro edge, my main RG has it and my K-7 too, my proline V has a original edge and I've had other guitars with a edge or lo-pro edge, but after trying out the ZR for a bit, it just topped my list, its so smooth and felt like a feather.

I might build a body for it, but first I would like to see if there is a possibility to replace my knife edge tremolos.

I do like the lo-pro edge, my main RG has it and my K-7 too, my proline V has a original edge and I've had other guitars with a edge or lo-pro edge, but after trying out the ZR for a bit, it just topped my list, its so smooth and felt like a feather.

I might build a body for it, but first I would like to see if there is a possibility to replace my knife edge tremolos.

Basically you will need to block up the old tremolo route and route a new one... the ZR is really different. I think there is a tutorial on PG about this... (didn't we just cover this the other day :D). It is as much work as building a new body. I would say that aesthetically it would have to be painted after. Instead a brand spanking new Zebrawood RG would look nice then you can ebay the old low-pro edge and body together and make all your money and then some back.

Actually - having done this recently myself - building a new body is less work and trouble than in-filling and re-routing an existing body. The infills are more likely to move at a different rate to the surrounding wood, causing outlines to show.

<edited: spelling....>

Edited by Prostheta