Guitar Of The Month For July

Guitar of the Month for July  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

wow

This has been open since yesterday afternoon, but I'm the first one to comment. Very strange.

Anyway...

ScottyD: This bass is really the cream of the crop this month. I'm still not a big fan of the bass horn tunning along the neck, but I can appreciate the apparent difficulties in doing it, as well as the benefits. What I AM a big fan of is you control cavity cover. Any chance of some pics of how you do it? I can imagine, but I'd rather see it first-hand.

Jaden: I'm not so much for the control cavity cover. Maybe if it were black it's be better. Other than that, it looks pretty nice. You managed to pull off the denim look very nicely.

Hoogelbug: I like most of it, especially the squished/slanted body. The controls on this one seem to be spread out too far though.

eshuffle: Did you make this? IIRC, when you posted this, you had one post: this entry. Without a build thread, it's dang hard to even get recognition.

Avedkan: I really don't care for the shape. It's not curvy or defined enough from the upper to the lower bouts.

Jaycee: Nothing bad to say about it. Likewise, there's nothing that really stands out.

Boggs: I'm still not lovin' the body shape. The separate wood plates the pups & controls are mounted to aren't doing it for me either. They make it look home-made. I know - it is.... but I don't think that's what you're really going for. I think it'd work better were everything on one plate, like a Strat or Jem.

Avengers63: :D

It's dang fun to play, looks cool, and sounds nice. Having only 19 frets makes this not for every song, but so what.

Quarter: I like it. I'd like to try making one sometime, just for the heck of it.

A nice bumper month this month with some great work.

scottyd - Unique Redeemer 4 Vic

Fantastic stuff as with all your basses. Got my vote.

Jaden - Blue Jean

Very clean work as usual but not keen on the control location with just a single control knob - I do like the F hole cavity covers . . I really liked the pink Paul Gilbert styled beastie previously with the fake F holes . . keep'em up!

hooglebug - Tri-caster D #09005

Very nice looking and super clean work - however the controls just seem to be randomly placed - which is the only reason it didn't get my vote.

eshuffle - Emerald Snakepit

Can't say this does much for me - very ornate and a considerable amount of work has gone into it however I far prefer original unique designs to an exact recreation of an existing model.

avdekan - Chambered Bass MKI

I do like this - although I find the top wood is a tad plain for a natural finish - also how MANY control knobs! :D

jaycee - "Dread-Niamh"

A very nice looking and clean build but nothing really grabs my attention.

Boggs - RockBeach CB-II

Some nice looking woods and very clean build - however the shape . . just doesn't do it for me - the horn styles don't match the rest of the body.

avengers63 - The Retrotron

Ahhhhhhh formica . . . it's certainly a novel looking guitar however as my father has been a trade shop/kitchen/exhibition fitter for over the 35 years of my life and I've seen and worked with FAAAAAAAAAR too much formica in my time and the very last place I want to see it is on a guitar!! Also there is many more attractive formica designs around! :D The other gripe is why didn't you shape the upto the body rather than leaving it square - I understand you bough the neck but surely a bit of customising to improve on the original wouldn't of gone amiss.

Quarter - Beauty's Sister

Absolutely beautiful work . . I'd just want to hang it on the wall and look at it rather than play it! As I've never played one and ain't got a clue what to look for on one I can't exactly vote for it! B)

As soon as I saw Scotty D bass I thought it will be hard to beat, but at the moment of writing it is neck and neck with Hooglebug' tricaster. The finish on that bass is top as is the control cavity cover. It just oozes quality,

Jaden' F control cavity cover is the best one I have seen in a while

For the rest although very good builds nothing really hit me visually . As for my build I just wanted a 12 string so I didn't deviate off the norm to much, but it sounds as good as any I have played so I am well pleased with it.

As allways well done to every one, it takes a lot of dedication and hard work to turn out one of these instruments.

Scottyd:

I really liked the woods used on this one, although I'm not a big fan of both basses and the shape.

Jaden:

I'm a sucker for flamed maple and ribbon mahogany, although I didn't like the cavity cover and the control layout this one got my vote.

Hooglebug:

To be honest i didn't really like this one. Its nice and original, but maybe a bit to original for me :D

I do though, love the limba

eshuffle:

I really liked the top on this one, although I didn't like that big sticker (?) covering it up, made the guitar look cheap - like a young teenagers squire with stickers. Great inlay work on the neck although I think the guitar is a bit to 'standard' with the Gibson les paul body, headstock and control/ pickup configuration

avdekan:

Like i've previously said for other entries, I really like the woods on this bass, although I don't like the shape. Its a bit to 'skinny' around the ass.

jaycee:

besides the uneven dots (i know there on purpose) and the long headstock (yeah i know its a twelve string) I really like this guitar. A nice change to see an acoustic :D

Boggs:

The woods are, I guess, murky. I don't really like that brownish colour of the body wood. The covers for the pickups and controls are also a bit out of place, without sounding rude, next time maybe make them a bit more classy instead of plain jane?

Avengers63:

I've seen a lot of your weird and wonderful work. You always have a different shape and design. On this one the formica top looks quite different, but I like it. I didn't really like the boxy-ish shape though.

Quarter:

Lapsteels are something I've been wanting to build, and yours looks really nice with the woods, and the way you've used the body wood as the fretboard so its flush looks real nice and classy. This was my 2nd favorite of the bunch B)

voted for the tri-caster. I also like jaycee's Dread-Niamh.

All the entries this month are guitars I'd like to own, great job everyone!

great chaps !

jaycee got my vote this month but it was a close run thing with the tricaster..

the thing that tipped it for me is that I have an immense respect for anyone who can make a decent looking acoustic.

ANOTHER great month. I didn't find one singl guitar that i didn't like and I can be a bit picky. In the end the tri-caster got the vote as it looks classic and unique at the same time. Scottyd's came in as a close second.

For me it was the tri caster! As soon as i saw it i really liked it. Followed closely this month by the two basses. Scottyd's control cover is simply excellent work and i liked avdekan's whole design. Great work!

To the other builds, all were great this month as usual and i would have liked to play them all!

Eshuffle- you really have to give us some more info on your build. Some build pics would be good also. :D

Cheers

Chad.

Hi eshuffle here, I built this guitar from the ground up, (by the way cam a sticker) no teenage stickers on my guitars, the snake is carved into the flametop and custom painted by Nub who paints for the Orange County Chopper's. You can go to mylespaulforum or thegearpage to check out more of my builds. This is my first entry so I only posted 4 pictures like the rules stated.

Here are some early build pictures from a thread on the LP forum and gear page....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthrea...hlight=eshuffle

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthrea...hlight=eshuffle

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-c...o-59-model.html

Ken Meyer

http://www.myspace.com/meyerguitars

Edited by eshuffle

scottyd - Unique Redeemer 4 Vic

I love it. I had a hard time deciding between this one and hooglebug's guitar. Both have a lot of personality. I tend to think a cool guitar always beats a cool bass, though. Sorry.

Jaden - Blue Jean

Looks very well made, but simply not my style. Sorry. I do like the F-hole control cavity cover though.

hooglebug - Tri-caster D #09005

Got my vote. Full of personality, but nothing over the top. Very tasteful design, woods, hardware, and fingerboard inlay. There is nothing I would change on that guitar.

eshuffle - Emerald Snakepit

Although I think this one lacks a creative touch, the LP is certainly not an easy guitar to build, and the inlay work involved here adds to the "wow" factor.

avdekan - Chambered Bass MKI

The fact that it's an original design certainly deserves credit, but it's not my cup of tea. It looks to me like it started a double-cutaway design but got its upper horned "filled" at the last minute of the drawing stage.

jaycee - "Dread-Niamh"

I think it's easier to grab someone's attention with a cool electric design than with an acoustic one so I'm fully aware that it's unfair to say that this one looks plain in comparison to the other guitars competing this month, but... I think it does.

Boggs - RockBeach CB-II

A funky shape, and I like the idea of the progressive pickup slanting. Not much fantasy neck-wise though. Why? why?

avengers63 - The Retrotron

I was never a fan of the retro cheapy Danelectro style. Although I admit this one looks cooler than most I've seen.

Quarter - Beauty's Sister

Clean and tasteful build. I like the design and choice of woods, and the headstock logo. My third choice

i did vote earlier in the week but never got around to making any comments but its all so good this month

scottyd - stunning, best yet - i love it and voted for it. i have been unsure with you choice of backwoods before but really liked the way this tied into the headstock

Jaden - very nice build as always - with my current mood i think i would have prefered it with a more intense shade of blue

hooglebug - i would be really interested to see what this guitar looked like with a slight amber tone in the finish, it looks good but a little pale to me.. very 'come and play me' looking though

eshuffle - i love green les pauls - the world needs more!! I am impressed by the technique involved in the carving and inlay but not so much by the final look. nevertheless - a very close second for me

avdekan - great bass with some really nice woods and touches but i think it may be a 'plain jane' in this beauty contest. although i realise how nice imbuya can look in real life and how much that top will shimmer so i am sure its not so plain

jaycee - i think the heelcap is awesome :D it looks really good but for me the headstock, inlays and end of fretboard add a folky craft element which i am never sure about. still a very impressive build - i wish i had the skill for that

boggs - not sure really. its a clean, well done build but it still doesnt appeal to me. I think its the distance the neck travels into the body (although access looks fine) and the way the pickups/controls are mounted that turns me off - i really like the shape

avenger - i love it and hate it all at the same time :D

quarter - stunning. i really like the construction on this and the wooden plates/covers are a very nice touch. awesome!