Fretboard Wood

daveq

Why don't people ever use woods like mahagony, walnut, ... for fretboards? I was thinking about building a guitar using black limba and was wondering if using it for a fretboard would be interesting. I ran across a site that listed it as "neck stock only" - "not suitable for fretboards". They didn't say why it wasn't suitable but it got me thinking that other body / neck woods are not commonly used as fretboards either.

Is it due to tone, sustain or something related to their acoustic properties or is it a structual thing, something else?

sorry if this seems like hijacking, but I've never seen a a mahogany neck with a maple fretboard either...hmmmm...

Is the hardness required for holding the frets in, transferring vibration ?

sorry if this seems like hijacking, but I've never seen a a mahogany neck with a maple fretboard either...hmmmm...

Really? I'm pretty sure that it's fairly common - I think? I know PRS has at least one model like this. Maybe it's not as common as I thought?

Anyway - I'm wondering why hardness would be an issue? Is it physical strength that is needed or does it have to do with the transmission of the sound?

If a type of wood is OK for a neck then why not a fretboard?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Softer wood wear more, and the frets need a harder wood to grab into. If the wood is too soft, the frets will literally fall out due to temp, humidity chandes. Aso, there's less than 1/4" of wood there. The truss rod would rip thru it when tightened if it the wood was not strong eniugh. The back wood has like 1/2" to deal with., and unless you use a double expading truss rod, there is no stress form the truss rod on it.

Hope that made sense, I am so freakin tired!