official carrieburst thread

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darren your ilustrations are awsome. I loved the carri and the red one with the snake wood. Can you cook one in Blue and the same carrie with a hint more of blue at the edges. Almost remind me at the way the beach looks back home! Sunny Puerto Rico, doesn't get more Carribean than that!

• 2 weeks later...

i don't suppose we can get a 100% official count of who's still in?

i'm not. i've taken down a different path of finishing since, then. latest project is an ivory LP-100 w/ Riemann's Sum = the standard integral on it in black going around the bottom/"this-side-up-while-playing" side.

There are no more 'official' headcounts for Carrie.

It's basically whoever shows up at the finish line with a finished, intonated carriburst instrument.

That's it.

Easy.

Simple.

Free to all to come in and enter at any point or exit just as quickly, as they wish.

No headcounts no mo'. :D

Darren, those digital mockup are incredible! Any thoughts on a Phtoshop tutorial?

There are loads of places on the 'net where you can find Photoshop tutorials, and i don't think this is exactly the right place for another one. Besides, i don't want to give away all my secrets, now, do i? I still have to make money at this. :D

On another note, if these bursts are supposed to be "caribbean bursts", can we please start spelling it "caribburst" and stop referring to them as "carries"?

I don't think so.

:DB):D

Litch is probably closest to actually building one I think, unless someone out there is completely doing one on the sly and is keeping it for a January Surprise.

Poor Carrie. It started out with such high octane intentions.

It's all Wes' fault. He was the first one to back out. :D

Every time I started to make one, I just couldn't go thru with it.

Personally, I just sort of lost interest in it with all the other guitars I've got under way now.

The carrie 'look' kind of came ....and ....went with me. :D

Funnily enough, litch has posted his effort on his forum just recently. He has mentioned entering it as a final FU to the PG forum, and a number of his acolytes have been saying how great it would be if he won. Having seen his effort I didn't see that happening, but he might yet get it by default....

Somebody has to step up to the plate top to defend PG honour!

Well, I'm not out to bash Jeff in any way, I saw his Tele and I applaud him for following thru with it, and I also read those 'FK PG' posts, and for a moment I felt I would actually finish one just to 'stick it to him' ( :D ).

But I don't have time for that kind of animosity, that's very silly really, and to be honest, Jeff did an absolutely freaking outstanding job of bringing in pics and keeping it alive, so if he wins by default, well hell, he deserves it I rekon. He near adopted the whole thing he put so much effort into it, so if anyone does deserve a Carrie win, it would obviously be Jeff.

...But it damn well better be properly intonated with a nice action, or I'll disqualify it!

B):D

Perry might be the stealthy silent killer tho... :D

And there is still time! :D

Perry might be the stealthy silent killer tho... :D

Would love to, and i do certainly have all the supplies ready, but im so busy i cant spare the time to do my own projects. ****, ive got one guitar (through neck, seven string baritone) that needs to be ready so the guy can take it on tour on the 5th of nov, and i only just started it yesterday. :D:DB):D

Yup, hes almost done with his carri tele. He posted it about 90 precent done here:

Litch's Tele

i am sorry but i have to be realistic here.it is obvious that jeff's building has only improved minimally.the string eyelets are not in the least bit straight,the neck pocket(the part that you see from the back)is not a smooth arc,the neck humbucker is crooked,the bridge leans TOO far back at the bass side(intonation anyone?)and there is just an overall feeling of clunkiness.

While I agree with you Wes, we had all agreed Carrie was about a particular finish, not about the guitar it was put on, except it had to be done and playable to the average player who would walk into a guitar store and pick it up.

As a big ole' honkin' Tele fan myself (I'm building about 5 or 6 of them right now, hehehe) that guitar don't float my boat none neither, but if he's the only one who shows up at the finish line and it's a done player with a Carrie finish, well, them's the facts...

The only viable argument to Jeff's is to build one yourself and enter it and beat him straight up.

True fact. :D

And in case anyone forgot, the prize (a pickup?) was for the best tutorial as decided by Brian, the guitar comp was added as a secondary affliction, although originally that was my main purpose, a guitar runoff.

My biggest gripe is the quality of the top jointing. It's probably just bitterness and jealously given how tough it is to get nice figured maple over here in the UK (without paying through the @R5£), but I get pretty steamed at seeing such a nice piece of quilt with a gaping seam down the centre, and glue stains either side, especially from a builder who's been building that long.

Look at these close ups...

Exhibit .A

Exhibit .B

Sadly I don't see Jeff's new forum giving him the constructive criticism he needs to improve his game - S'piddy....

True, there isnt enough criticism there. If that bugs you, give some. I appreciate the criticism here.

The bridge doesnt lean as far back as it looks. Remember how massively a tele pup leans? It intonates fine, and those pics are poor represent tations of what it will be. I am waiting on a bardin knock off for it, and I will reshoot the clear then. True the top could be better joined, and such, the heel isnt meant to be a berfect arc, it's meant to fit my hand.

For those who choose to laugh instead of say something, fine by me. I fixed the neck HB's angled ness, and it looks better now.

Finally this is not the last FU to PG. I got over my emotions and it's now a carrie tele I bult for myself. All clear?

i am sorry but i have to be realistic here.it is obvious that jeff's building has only improved minimally.the string eyelets are not in the least bit straight,the neck pocket(the part that you see from the back)is not a smooth arc,the neck humbucker is crooked,the bridge leans TOO far back at the bass side(intonation anyone?)and there is just an overall feeling of clunkiness.

Jeff reminds me of a guitar builder 'round here in BC, (I won't say any names, but I was told of him by a local professional lutheir who know's him personally) these guys both have the drive and want to be building guitars, but they (much more so Jeff) lack the actually skills needed to execute the construction of a quality instrument, like maybe they are missing some natural ability you can never learn.

I've never said anything on Jeff's forum because I didn't want to be mean.

This is the Carriburst thread, not a slam Jeff thread.

If you want to slam Jeff, start a new thread please and don't clutter this one up any more, this is for posting about Carribursts. :D

Poor Carrie. Who would've guessed last December that it would come down to this apathetic scenario...

:DB):D