Mockingbird

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wip80.jpg

wip81.jpg

The top with the first sealer coat on it. I wanted to get the colors locked in before I turned it onto it's face and started monkeying around with the back.

It's always interesting to me how different angles will highlight or hide a flame. Granted, this top isn't the densest flame we've ever seen, but that just makes the light effects that much more pronounced.

I thought I'd do a walk-through of the inlaying process for these home-made dealies.

First, we take the templates that were made to fit the inlays and tape it to the fretboard.

wip82.jpg

Then we rough it out with a 1/8" bit in the small laminate trim router.

wip83.jpg

Then we clean it up with a teeny little dental bit in the Dremel. The shaft of the bit acts as a bearing along the inside of the template.

wip84.jpg

The shaft is just hair narrower than the tip, so I end up with barely enough room to slide the inlay into place, but not so little I have to force it in.

wip85.jpg

I got the inlays all epoxied in and the fretboard radiused and sanded to 220. Right now I'm painting a few coats of w/b poly onto the inlays to help protect them. Using the w//b finish is an intentional choice because I don't want the maple to get that warm oiled look. Once I have a couple coats, I can buff the whole thing out and oil the ebony properly.

As for blackening the base, it's turning into more of a chore than I had anticipated. It'll be worth it in the end, so it's no biggie.

The areas around the inlays got a little scraped up when I was cleaning them up. I was really hoping that they'd be invisible after the f/b was buffed & oiled. It looks like I have to go back and sand them out.

wip86.jpg

Here's two of the body with the sealer coat on it. It was a PIA, but it looks fantastic. It's EXACTLY what I wanted it to be.

wip87.jpg

wip88.jpg

A side shot. Maybe you can see the faux binding effect.

wip89.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! Did everything get sewn back together right?

Yeah. I cut halfway through the bone so it was pretty close. I was cutting binding strips and the strip kicked back and up, I caught it but it fell into the saw and the blade caught it and pulled my hand down before I could move it. I was so fast I didn't even realize what happened, I just thought I got my hand hit really hard ... until I noticed my hand was covered in blood. It's stitched up and in a splint. It all goes to show that even with guards there is still the chance of accidents. Definately gives you a new look at how dangerous and how fast things can happen with those.

I almost cut my left thumb in half with my 4tpi bandsaw blade. I got lazy and did not pay attention and slid it right in as I was resawing a board. Yah, I book matched my thumb! It chipped the bone and left a huge gash. I waited about 4 hours to go to the doctor. They wanted to stitch it back together. I opted for glue. the last thing I wanted after that long was to have a needle going into it. It took about a month to heal and looks gnarly but it got better.

Edited by zyonsdream

Nice work as always John. I side question, do you feel the bench pucks are worth it? Do they really provide a slip-resistant base for working on material?

Those bench cookie/hockey puck things work GREAT. I use them constantly for routing. They really do hold the piece in place without using a single clamp.

John, not trying to be a chop buster but ------ why come you don't blacken in the control cavity / neck pocket? I realize they'll both be hidden, and the cavity will prolly get copper-ized , it just makes the body as a unit seem un-done.

Looking cool as a cuke otherwise.

Oh - and routing without clamps is dangerous. :D

Just sayin'.

...why come you don't blacken in the control cavity / neck pocket? I realize they'll both be hidden, and the cavity will prolly get copper-ized....

That's exactly why. There's no point in doing something that doesn't need to be done unless it's more of a chore NOT to do it.

Oh - and routing without clamps is dangerous. :D

Just sayin'.

Not it it doesn't move. Seriously... that's what these things were designed for; it's the main selling point. I can tell you firsthand that the piece is stable.

Those bench cookie/hockey puck things work GREAT. I use them constantly for routing. They really do hold the piece in place without using a single clamp.

This is the first I have ever seen those things...I found them on amazon and truthfully they look useful as hell.

Sure things should always be clamped,but I must admit I always find myself cheating because I can't get something properly clamped...those things can't hurt as an extra safety measure,plus they allow space underneath to clamp templates on top

Over the last 2 days I've managed to spray on 6 thin coats of lacquer without anything resembling a drip or sag. I'm not sure if I'm going to spray anything this weekend because 1) the fumes permeate the house quickly and for a long time, and 2)I have the kids here this weekend.

Thanks.

This is only a temporary situation anyway. In the Spring, SWMBO is making me move my workshop into the garage. It'll take away my beloved Winter parking space, but it'll double my available space and get the entire thing out of the house. I intend to make a "spray room" out there from 2x4s and plastic sheeting.

• 3 weeks later...

wip90.jpg

These are two of my new toys: a fret press caul and a nibbler. The nibbler is what the $50 fret tang nipper is based off of, but only costs $25. It works perfectly once I figured out exactly how to hold the fret. The only potential drawback is that the end of the tang gets bent and needs to be straightened out with some needlenose pliers. Time to play!!!

I decided to trim back the tang so I could create the illusion of a bound neck from the edge of the fretboard. After the frets were in, filed flush, and beveled, I sanded the edge of the f/b to fill the slots with ebony dust. I then put a drop of super glue on each slot end and let it cure overnight. After I sanded it flush, it looks like this...

wip91.jpg

SWEET! Instant fake binding.

This morning I got the neck carved. It looks pretty sweet with the sapwood in there.

wip92.jpg

And here's the headstock with a decal and a bunch of lacquer.

wip93.jpg