Mockingbird

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I decided that the old body was way too heavy, so I needed to make another for it. It sounds a little bright, but I'm OK with that. I was never 100% happy with the height of the strings from the body, but it didn't effect the playing. Still, there's more than one thing that can be improved, so here we go.

I'm wanting to keep the neck, but I'm not satisfied with the headstock. I might end up doing surgery on it, but I don't know yet. We'll cross that bridge later.

The old body was right at 2" thick, and weighed a ton. I'm a large guy and can handle the weight, but still.... It was mahogany & cherry. An odd, really heavy strain of mahogany that smell of antiseptic when it's worked. I'm wondering if it was really mahogany at all.

I checked the specs on the BC Rich website and they make the 'Birds 1 3/4", so that's what I'm going with. This one will have a 7/8" sapele base with a 7/8" canarywood top. Sapele is REALLY dark, and canary is reported to be pretty bright, do it should balance fairly well.

I'm planning on carving the top just like BC Rich does it. Canary is really to begin with, but it will really come to life once it gets contoured. The streaks of red & orange should be great as they're revealed in the carve. I'm unsure whether I'll paint the back and bind the edges or leave it all natural. I might ebonize the sapele since it takes it so well. I suppose it depends somewhat on how deep the carve goes and how tall the binding is. Of course, this will need to be determined pretty quickly. I have time to mull it over though. I just started the glue-up today, and have another three day's worth to go before I can do anything else to it.

I'll be using the rest of the sapele & canary to make some bodies for sale. Maybe I'll be able to try out some things on them before doing it on mine.

wip59.jpg

wip60.jpg

• 2 months later...
I'm sure that it is meant to be "caramel". One of these days, I'm going to come break into your house and flush all your roundover bits down the toilet.

Yea. Mis-spell.

It's only a 1/4" on the back.

I know from the other one I made that the axe head jabs you in the sternum if it's not softened up. Plus, I like a rounded corner.

i think the carve could reflect the body shape a bit more. at the moment it has a bulbous look, but tweaking it to follow the shape would add some grace. things like the horns and upper waist could be sharpened up and hollowed out/recurved to really make it work

I'm sure that it is meant to be "caramel". One of these days, I'm going to come break into your house and flush all your roundover bits down the toilet.

PM before you go, I'm going with you. John will be all NOOOOOOO but we will calm him down with a few beers and he will realise we did it for his own good.

i think the carve could reflect the body shape a bit more. at the moment it has a bulbous look, but tweaking it to follow the shape would add some grace. things like the horns and upper waist could be sharpened up and hollowed out/recurved to really make it work

Agreed - a Mockingbird's complimentary bevelling remind me a lot of an SG's also.

PM before you go, I'm going with you. John will be all NOOOOOOO but we will calm him down with a few beers and he will realise we did it for his own good.

Michelob Ultra, please. Or just spike my tea with sweet tea flavored vodka. :D

The more I look at this thing, the less I like it. The carve is too deep. It's too late to be able to fix it though because the control cavity has been routed. Taking the top down would blow through the cavity in 1/4".

Help?

just flatten down the curves of the carve a bit

Please elaborate.

I think go the way you mentioned and shave a bit off the top and reduce the convexity of the carve, bring it towards the kind of subtle carve you see on an old Iceman like this one

ibanez-iceman.jpg

Woops wrong pic I meant to post this one

iceman%20side1-filtered.jpg

Can you see it?

Yep. Might be difficult as most of the carve has been shaped already. I probably won't be able to take a real good look at what can be done until Monday or Tuesday.

In hindsight, the top is too thick. I went for a 7/8" base and a 7/8" top, which was way too much. A 1/2" top would have been MORE than enough.

Thanks, guys!

:D Michelobs it is, and then vodka and lime cordial gimlets :D

that body will be fine, just flatten down the curves of the carve a bit, and think about using cream and black 7 ply binding instead of the caramel pearly stuff B)

I will bring the vodka.

Since we are flushing bits I am going to get his shellac while we are at it.

PS Muzz does your old lady know you posted her picture? B)

I will bring the vodka.

Since we are flushing bits I am going to get his shellac while we are at it.

PS Muzz does your old lady know you posted her picture? B)

:D Silly, It's not my old lady, it's the lady that lives across the road from you, what can I say, she likes posing with guitars, I like photography. She said she was thinking about asking you, but she liked my guitars better :D