Three More Strandberg Ergonomic Guitars

QUOTE (verhoevenc @ May 10 2010, 11:46 PM)

I watched MOST of the videos... and I gotta say... How did (from the majority I saw at least) NO ONE play any Hendrix on that strat-esque guitar?!?!

Chris

It's a famous double-bluff. Nobody pick up a Les Paul and rattles off Tiger Rag.

at least not in public. I wanted to play zeppelin so badly in GC when I bought my first LP, until i saw like 4 others playing stairway to heaven and I realized how lame it was.

I'm pretty impressed with the tone, The last thing I expected was someone to play jazz on it, and it had some great tone. I was expecting someone to come out just thrashing with insane overdrive in those vids. I didn't expect it to have that rich of a tone, most headless guitars i've played sounded so thin. Your obviously doing something right, looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Edited by Cali-Blues

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They certainly blow the whole mass=tone (never mention the S word) thing out of the water. The svelte shape and relatively low mass seems to produce a very focused sound, but not "thin" as would perhaps be intuited from traditional guitar voodoo brainwashing techniques. I think this would be a fantastic way of proving the tonal differences between headless and en-headstocked, having string locks in the traditional tuner positions perhaps. Despite lots of voodoo being put in the headstock mass idea (fat finger, etc) I don't know if much has been proven either way. Certainly, mass beyond the vibrating string length (headstock, behind the bridge, body wings) have an effect but quantifying it is something else. In most respects it's probably more similar to the string through body/through bridge differences. I digress.

Thanks for the discussion - I am enjoying it a lot!

As for neck sound comparison, the plan is to rotate the necks across the different bodies and try to record the same thing with each for comparison. Just have to find a slot in the schedule and a guitarist patient enough....

Cheers,

Ola

The Strat version is genius! Amazing look you have there.

My only suggestion is that aesthetically, the head might look better if it somehow blended a "normal Strat headstock" and "headlessness", if you know what I mean. I know you're just using a Squier neck for now, but it just came to mind.

Listened to these a few times now. Couldnt realy make up my mind as to what the necks were doing tonaly at first, But I think there is defenitly something to the chambered/hollowed neck. Seems to have a broader, more airy tone. Cant quite put my finger on it but there is definitly a lot more going on there than with the solid necks. At least to my ears anyway.

How was the trapazoidal neck profile received ?

Did anybody realy hammer the tremolo, Would be interesting to see how it fared with some abuse.

Some more sound samples being uploaded as I am writing this. #2, which is the maple top, mahogany back, "normal" profile maple neck with the sound channels is becoming the majority's favorite. A lot of people seem to think that PAF pickups with really dot the "I" so will try that. I am torn between #2 and the wenge top one (#3). I like the look of #3 guitar the most and have entered it into Guitar of the Month for June, so be sure to vote!

Tremolo is very stable, but Squier nut not so good with the current gauge of strings. I will fix and post some abusive samples.... I have had the same thought as Geo suggests and need to replace the whole Squire neck anyway since it is not really stable in shifting weather conditions, I just noticed.

Just one pic of each, finished:

img_2600.jpg

img_2556.jpg

img_2504.jpg

img_2581.jpg

LOVE that #3 !

The fourth one is also pretty cool, taking the Strat theme somewhere new. I like it a lot, too. Although I think I'd rather see it without a headstock as well.

With these different configurations, I think that your design works better with darker body woods, and without the "f-hole".

When you entered GOTM a couple of months back, I didn't vote for your guitar because there was something about it that didn't seem right to me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I can : it's the f-hole.

Although it's an original shape, I think it detracts from the general minimalist-ergonomic vibe of your design. Just my 2 cts.

Really, that #3 is where it all comes together!

Cheers!

The f-hole actually took a lot of effort to design. It has several purposes:

- it is a play on my logotype, with the '.' and '*' in .strandbergGuitarworks

- it shows that the guitar is semi-hollow

- it is a decorative feature

But having said that, I am very happy with the non-f-hole look. I just have to find another way to get my logo/name onto the instrument. I have ordered custom neck plates engraved with my logo, and will sign and number inside the neck pocket.

Having an f-hole and putting a label inside, would be pretty cool....

• 4 months later...