My David Gilmour Replica Build Started

there's a switch missing off of that Gilmour Black strat pic.

Thats weird there should be a 2 way toggle switch just in front of the volume nob. but maybe it was added after your year to relic it after. it was installed and used on "WISH YOU WERE HERE" for the Shine on you crazy Diamond songs. It turns all 3 pickups on at once if I remember correctly.

there's a switch missing off of that Gilmour Black strat pic.

Thats weird there should be a 2 way toggle switch just in front of the volume nob. but maybe it was added after your year to relic it after. it was installed and used on "WISH YOU WERE HERE" for the Shine on you crazy Diamond songs. It turns all 3 pickups on at once if I remember correctly.

its there... its tiny, its the MINI silver thing right next to volume knob... Its on my pickguard as well. It turns the neck pickup on in the first 3 positions... so if you put the 5 way in the middle with the mini toggle on u have all pickups working at once.. it sounds amazingly warm and HOT HOT HOT in the bridge position, with the toggle on...

rkofue.jpg

Its circled

How about the back? I've never seen the backside of the black strat neck.

the FB is looking good. once it get a bit of finger grime it will have some sweet mojo.

Yea. rekon so. get the whole neck up to about 30-32 degrees C for a day or 2. then very quickly throw it into a freezer for a few minits. the nitro cheks up like a S.O.B. then mix up some black & reddish mahogany aniline dye with warm water or alcohol & wash it on realy thin. Wipe it away from the exposed wood with a dry rag immediatly. Then get a damp cloth & mash some dirt into the exposed timber (I wipe the brake dust & grime from the wheels on my bikes with a warm damp cloth & scrub it in) When its all dry just give it a light buff with an old rag to clean up all the rough crap. :D

How about the back? I've never seen the backside of the black strat neck.

the FB is looking good. once it get a bit of finger grime it will have some sweet mojo.

Yea. rekon so. get the whole neck up to about 30-32 degrees C for a day or 2. then very quickly throw it into a freezer for a few minits. the nitro cheks up like a S.O.B. then mix up some black & reddish mahogany aniline dye with warm water or alcohol & wash it on realy thin. Wipe it away from the exposed wood with a dry rag immediatly. Then get a damp cloth & mash some dirt into the exposed timber (I wipe the brake dust & grime from the wheels on my bikes with a warm damp cloth & scrub it in) When its all dry just give it a light buff with an old rag to clean up all the rough crap. :D

Question can't you use compressed air can upsidedown to produce the checks? Seems like a safer solution than heating a neck... just thinking out loud

I like the break dust

I have some teles to relic ... I am going to leave them on the porch for a few days...play them... maybe take them hunting and kayaking...play them... spill some beer on them...play them... then I thought about a long car trip strapped to the front fender. Since I like the break dust idea and I quit smoking years ago... maybe I will use them to hold the car up next time I change the break pads... seems like a good use for a tele.

How bout making a belly pad and mittens/gloves with brillo pad and "playing" it for an hour to wear out some spots?? B) Maybe chuck pebbles at it or drag it around the yard for a while. :D Do the gardening and then play it with your hands unwashed. Don't forget to put some salt water on it with a spray bottle to mimic sweat from your body. :D

Or....

You could put around 12-15 THOUSAND hours (or so) playing/touring/gigging/writing/rehearsing with it and let it EARN its scars.

6 of one / half a dozen of another .......

BTW - the above comment was in no way reflected at this build in particular - it's looking like its intended target , so it's going well .... I just don't shine on fake relics.

Real deal mojo-laced , hand~lubbed ,worn down axes make me weak in the knees. The silicone counter-parts , not so much.

would this guitar be classified as a relic or replica.

i would say replica witch in my mind means much more work than just a relic guitar theres a lot of work that has to be done on a replica. every thing has to be just right all the nick and dings and wear marks need to be like the original.

btw personaly i like a reliced guitar when its done right and looks like a real vintage guitar but mostly what i see is overdone or completely wrong. that being said there is the same trend in cars right now and i dont like it at all on a car if you have an all original 56 chevy sure its cool if it has some dings or the paint is checked and its a little rough around the edges because the car has earned that over the last fifty some odd years but dont fake it.

thanks pauliemc, I hadn't heard that method before, I especially like the brake dust thing, doesn't smell as bad as the cigarette and coffee i've used. good alternative.

I use cigatettes & coffee gunk for some things. Great for mucking up white finishes. But hey - muck is muck. Try it all

Question can't you use compressed air can upsidedown to produce the checks? Seems like a safer solution than heating a neck... just thinking out loud

I like the break dust

I have some teles to relic ... I am going to leave them on the porch for a few days...play them... maybe take them hunting and kayaking...play them... spill some beer on them...play them... then I thought about a long car trip strapped to the front fender. Since I like the break dust idea and I quit smoking years ago... maybe I will use them to hold the car up next time I change the break pads... seems like a good use for a tele.

I find the compressed air thing doesent have the right look. It only does a small area at a time.

Getting the neck up to 30 degrees C is fine. Its a half decent summer temperature in most places. Actually cool summer for a lot of places. So letting a guitar or neck sit in that heat for a while is nothing. Dumping it into a box freezer for a few minits will chek the nitro in a more natural pattern than the cannister method.

Best relic i ever did on a tele was for a joke. A friend wanted to bash his thinline up. So we put the body in a cement mixer with 2 bags of gravel, a smashed up paving slab & a few broken beer bottles (number of bottles rose as the time passed ha ha ha) Damned thing came out fookin brilliant !!!! :D

Comments - Nice geetar. The amount that you have progressed in a very short time is nothing short of outstanding!

Suggestions - Don't stop building. Take better pictures.

For your next build - try getting by without all of the big toys at the base woodshop, try making a guitar with the tools you are realistically likely to have at your disposal back in the real world. Converting to more basic tools whilst still having the guidance of the woodshop custodians could prove invaluable.

Cheers

Buter