Truss Rods

Ok, I've searched and searched and searched and still can't find what I'm looking for.

A few weeks ago there was a little mini discussion on someone's thread about truss rod - the stewmac hotrod vs the lmii vs whatever.

If I recall there were some pretty strong recommendations about particular brands. I've just found an intriguing looking new, 18", double-action TR with a blue sleeve on the bottom rod - very similar design to the lmii rods, I think - and they looked familiar, so I was wondering if they were indeed one of the ones recommended in the other thread. They're less than half the price of the Stew Mac HRs.

Thx

Tom

Would they be the ones from CH something-or-other Wez?

Just sitting down to email the fella due to one of the 5 rods I just ordered not being welded on one side. Also, the metal 'backbone' is about 5mm, so there's play in the slot, not cool. The 'nut' end of the thing is about 8mm so you have to widen the slot where the nut needs to sit..

Assuming, of course, that you're using a 6mm bit.

Buter

Hey Tom,

I can't help you, but I noticed you're from Melrose. Pretty cool. I live in Malden.

Hey Frank.

I'm actually not far from Malden - on Washington St, up towards the fellsway.

But I'm also from England - been in the US (and Melrose) just over 2 years.

That's awesome!!!

I know exactly where that is! I live on Madison St which is right off of Main St in Malden. I've been a lurker around here for quite sometime but today was my first post. Your PRS type build is very impressive! I'm also working on a similar build. Schecter/PRS inspired with some original details and such. Coming along slowly but surely...

Truss rods again imagine that.

I have never seen a truss rod sold that was junk. Cheap yes, how can two pieces of steel be junk if they work.. I think its less of what you pay for that what you want to see in a truss rod. Besides all you see in the end is the nut and very little of that.

The LMI rod is compact and Has a small nut.. I like that.

The rod sold on grizzly.com is cheaper but the nut is large. Similar rods are sold like this.

The Stumac rod is a different beast entirely and while its nice, its deeper than many others, but the head choices give you options. I dont like the fact that the 3/16" slot size does not come in a 1/2" size router bit for my router table.. Annoying but I can live with it.

So rather than quality I think its a matter of preference, or how much work you want to put into the slot.

Saran wrap thats a new one. Silicon is a good product it is rubber soft and dampens any vibration between the neck and the rod as well as stoping any rattling. Dont expect the wraps on these rods to suppliment some sort of seating compound. You dont need to fill the slot. I suggest at least 4 points minimum add a dab so its secure and free of any nose killing, driving you insane vibrations. Softness is a plus when selecting a seating compound. for the reasons above and it allows the rod to move when you turn it.

I don't believe Chris will have much control over the quality of some items he buys in. Overall they are in the cheap end of the market, but it does provide an easy option for budding luthiers and their first instruments. More often than not, those rods will do their job over the lifetime of a beginner's instrument IMO.

When I re read that the rods were not welded that is an issue. Even with a poor weld these rods should hold up. I have had to grind welds to get the rods to fit even on a good one...

• 8 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but... I need to buy a couple of 2-Way rods and I'm not sure which to get. I was going to go with the Allied Lutherie ones but the ones on the Grizzly site seems to be very nice. They have the Gotoh and the black, made in China one.

For an electric guitar, which would be best? The black one seems like a great deal @ $9.95 but its hard to see what they really look like from the pic on the website.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Truss-Rod-2-Way/H6031

Should I go the safe route and stay with the Allied Lutherie ones?

Wes seems to like cling film.

Yes I use cling wrap,but not to pad a loose rout,rather to keep the glue out from around the rod while I glue on the fretboard.It is so thin that you can wrap it twice around the end nuts and a bit more around the center rods and it all fits in nice and snug.

The way I wrap it thicker around the center is a "just in case" kind of thing.It would surely dampen any vibrations that might try to happen...but it really works well to keep the rod free of glue.

I have used silicon before to pad the rods.It works too,but does nothing to keep the glue out.

Edit Hmm I didn't notice this thread was old...but anyway

Sorry to revive an old thread, but... I need to buy a couple of 2-Way rods and I'm not sure which to get. I was going to go with the Allied Lutherie ones but the ones on the Grizzly site seems to be very nice. They have the Gotoh and the black, made in China one.

For an electric guitar, which would be best? The black one seems like a great deal @ $9.95 but its hard to see what they really look like from the pic on the website.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Truss-Rod-2-Way/H6031

Should I go the safe route and stay with the Allied Lutherie ones?

The gotoh style rods Grizzly carries are 15 and 16" long, a bit short for an electric neck.

I have used the other ones and they are great, but require a bit of extra routing around the collar at the adjuster end, and for the barrel around the nut.

These work by way of a "captive nut" system, where when you tighten the nut, it works the same way as a one way double rod, but whwn you back the nut off past its neutral position, it starts pushing against the rim of the barrel it is contained in and bows the rods the other way.

The allied rods are the best I have ever used. The nut fits in the same slot as the rod- no extra routing/chiseling. Plus, They work differently than other similar double action rods. Instead of using reverse threading on one end, they use fine threads on one end, and coarse on the other. This makes the action much smoother, more precise, and easier to turn, requiring more turns to achieve the same bow as the other rods.

The welds are also much more nicely done than others, especially the LMII ones, which are notoriously sloppy.

• 3 weeks later...

The LMI rod has been my favorite so far but they ain't the cheapest. You route a 6mm slot, either square off the small bits of the route where the metal blocks will go or round over the metal blocks with a file and gently tap into place - no muss, no fuss, no stinky coconuts.

I don't think that it's too difficult to design a rod that fits snugly in a standard 6mm slot. Making a t/r slightly larger or slightly smaller than that serves no purpose but it does require more effort to install.

IMHO, 99% of the time you are simply looking for a rod that works smoothly and requires the least amount of wood to be removed. If you are making thick necks where depth of route isn't much of an issue then some may prefer to use the Hot Rod for various reasons.

Any dual action t/r missing a weld I would happily put into the 'junk' category. In my case, I emailed the seller last night asking for a credit should I order from him again and, instead, had the money credited back to my card before I went to bed. Customer service isn't being perfect, customer service is dealing with your customer in the same manner you would like to be treated!

Cheers

I got mine at Allied Luthier's and they look to be well made. I think the owner was once associated with LMI. They are less expensive.

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm