Name Some Tutorials We Need On This Site

i like that template one;

i think that the list of tutorials is pretty complete but the thing i find is alot seem outdated compared to the progress/innovation of techniques used in daily builds on this site alone; e.g. the veneering top tutorial should be updated to an affordable 'home luthier' vaccuum bag tutorial; and i'd like to see more on swirls actually; really lamens term type tut.

There is one, by Perry (Rhoads56) How to determine a neck angle.

I think it´d be great to update the one on necessary tools. As far as I can recall, there was a list in there but linked out of the forum, and it no longer works. I´d be very interested in tools and their possible uses, especially how far can you go on with hand tools. Let´s say...chisels, and possible uses of them. Router usage 101, and router bits and their possibilities.

Maybe even a general woodworking thread. May not be a tutorial, but what kind of woodworking abilities or skills are needed: carving, routing, sawing, planing, etc. I´m aware that these have been covered in the past, and to death. So, maybe a thread that comprises the most basic and needed notions to get started?

I admit I don´t even own a rasp...yet.

Agreed I am am new to woodworking also..

A "How to blow up a picture to make templates from" for Dummies. I´d read it...

+1. I don't know how many times I've explained that here. I don't mind explaining it, but a tutorial would be nice.

Carving and contouring for beginners would be pretty cool too. Like, drawing your depth on the edge of the body and then drawing the start of the slope on the face of the body. Simple stuff like that.

What i'd really like to see is the missing pictures or a redo of the finishing tutorials that Lex Luthier posted. Same goes for a neckthrough tutorial that includes clamping, as I've never seen anything like that, and I'm sure a lot of people have questions on weather to clamp before you carve the body parts out or after.

You know if the tutorial section wasn't littered with questions that should be in another section it would be easier to find the tutorials... If you go several pages deep into the tutorial section you will find a lot of good stuff. But it is a pain weeding through the million "How do I do this?" threads in there.

I vote for a "How to Use The Search" tutorial.

I agree, but the search function for these ib forums, doesnt exactly yield the best results.. Like say your searching for Neck angle, it will pull up every single thread with the word NECK in its title/body.... That doesnt necessarily narrow it down to much you know?

Top Carvfing Tutorials

Hammer/Chisel Method

Saw Dust Generator Version

T Plainer Method

Neck Angle Determination (Not just a picture/diagram) One that actually walks through step by step using a variety of bridges

How to make the neck shims, and how to figure out the sizes they need to be to get the correct angle

How to make figured woods Pop tutorial

A How to wire a guitar from scratch in different styles IE: LP, PRS Rotary, Strat ETC

I think we should each take on the task of creating one of these tutorials, and submit them to the mods and have them posted on the main page. I can take the top carving using hammer/chisel....

Anyone else game? This will help the beginning builders, and help keep the un-necessary repetitive questions away. Post if you want to help with this.

-Steve

Just a couple of thoughts...

Neck Angle Determination (Not just a picture/diagram) One that actually walks through step by step using a variety of bridges

How to make the neck shims, and how to figure out the sizes they need to be to get the correct angle

Not sure why using a variety of bridges would be useful. If you can do one, you can do them all. It's all exactly the same process, and between Ormsby's tutorial and Hiscock's book, it's covered pretty completely.

What do you mean by "neck shims?" Like, tapered pieces to stick in the neck pocket? This would be unnecessary if you route the pocket (or angle the neck tenon) correctly.

A How to wire a guitar from scratch in different styles IE: LP, PRS Rotary, Strat ETC

Again, if you can wire one guitar, you can wire them all if you have a decent diagram, which are available here. << excellent resource. bookmark it.

I think a tut about how to make mockups in photoshop/gimp would be good. Keiskae isnt always the best and is limited, and I'd love to be able to use photoshop to see what different wood combinations, stain colors, etc would look like. Would have to be a very long and detailed tutorial though, and how to do it would vary depending on what program your using

You know if the tutorial section wasn't littered with questions that should be in another section it would be easier to find the tutorials... If you go several pages deep into the tutorial section you will find a lot of good stuff. But it is a pain weeding through the million "How do I do this?" threads in there.

well if one of the mods ever gets bored enough to go through and cull all the bs threads out of there. It might be best to lock down the tut section then when some one does make a tutorial they can post it in another section and just pm a mod to have it moved there. idk that might be a lot more work than i think it is i havent' ever been a mod so i really dont know what its like behinds the scenes.

For the basic wood-working stuff, check out a thing called "woodworking forums". You'll probably find more people there willing to help with your drum sander problem, etc.

I would like a tutorial on how to take away the blacked-out areas on Our Souls photos.

And consider this : Let people who pass along helpful tips to do it in the way they feel most comfortable with. Not everyone feels like writing a mini-book without pay. Some only have the patience to throw in their 2 cents where they see fit. I've probably picked up the most valuable info from people who pass it along in the most informal ways.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Not sure why using a variety of bridges would be useful. If you can do one, you can do them all. It's all exactly the same process, and between Ormsby's tutorial and Hiscock's book, it's covered pretty completely.

What do you mean by "neck shims?" Like, tapered pieces to stick in the neck pocket? This would be unnecessary if you route the pocket (or angle the neck tenon) correctly.

Again, if you can wire one guitar, you can wire them all if you have a decent diagram, which are available here. << excellent resource. bookmark it.

shims being the pieces used to raise your neck pocket template to give the correct anglee.

Also some people have a really hard time reading wiring diagrams... a pictorial would definitely be nice.

I understand sometimes informal information is awesome... but sometimes readers coould benefit alot more from tutorials

How about something that is pinned at the top of the forums that has key words. Some of people's search problems arn't laziness, they just don't know the proper key words to search for. Hmm.. Kerfing, Binding, etc..

If there were a list of key words, and even better if you could click on them and it pulled up a search with that term. It could be pinned at the top of each forum, so hollowbody would only be in that section. Wiring would have things like capacitor that jumped to a search of that term..

-John

well if one of the mods ever gets bored enough to go through and cull all the bs threads out of there. It might be best to lock down the tut section then when some one does make a tutorial they can post it in another section and just pm a mod to have it moved there. idk that might be a lot more work than i think it is i havent' ever been a mod so i really dont know what its like behinds the scenes.

MexB has a pretty good idea with master threads that contain links to lots of other threads on the topic. However I can't ask anyone to do this since I don't have time myself... with the __search__ just not working it would be a massive undertaking to do any of my suggestions or even start on MexB's ideas.

Being a member who has actually created some tutorials the whole discussion is really a moot point. What you are asking is that some member just whips these up for you because you want them. It does not really work that way. I have never seen a Forum based anything so far, except a bass build that still isnt finished after many years. What does that tell you?

Most everything has been discussed to death and at length. Really you just have to find it.

I must admit the forum is a mess of ramdom information. I am not sure any interest has been taken to work on the forum since its creation, other than maintenance. If there was interest more categories would have been added and the information placed into those categories so you could find it. I see other forums that seem to get bigger every time I visit, not so here.

Maybe its too late and honestly who would do it. Its like the old saying; It' s like beating a dead horse. I have accepted that there is no interest from the powers to be and moved on, it is what it is...

I´d like that most of this tutorials be done or recopilated with the newbie or "starting out" in mind.

I'd like the opposite. That anyone starting out do some of their own legwork to get them more at the level of those they'd like to ask qestions and share ideas with.

Yes, I realize if you spend $50 on some books, you won't be able to get that Chinese floyd rose copy on ebay.

How about a tutorial on how to earn money for books and tools by cleaning out gutters for elderly people around your neighborhood . I don't mean you Mexi, I mean these "blank slate" guys who show up and want to know all the tools needed. I don't get that way of thinking. Anytime I wanted to learn something new (like glass cutting), I looked up articles on how it's done, and the freakin' tools involved are mentioned in the articles.

I have to agree with DC Ross, Spoke, Soapbarstrat on this one. It is all in the forum....and yes the search function isn't great, but its all there. The neck taper and angle is already pinned in the form of Perrys tutorial. Its so easy, All you have to do is grab a pencil,ruler and a piece of paper and you can work it out pretty quickly.

How about, the best way to learn is to read and start building guitars or any other wood project to your ability, resources etc. Start at a Tele or something similar and build up to that carved top PRS flamed,quilted,burled,bursted 3d wood popping creation that we all love to look at. S**t you may even have fun along the way learning the process. :D Im not directing this at anyone, but we all have humble beginnings and need to start somewhere. Take the time to research,plan and think out the steps instead of getting someone else to do it and then copy that. I guarantee you will learn more and enjoy yourself in the process.

Sorry to get abit crazy there but laziness and incompetence really s**t me because its just a state of mind.

Chad.

I think watching the in-progress builds is a great learning experience. Reading a static web page with some pictures and lots of writing is okay, but a dynamic discussion with lots of people actively helping each other and sharing ideas, thats really helpful.

I dont think the search function is that bad, it works well for me all the time, so I dont know why everyone says its not so great....you just gotta know how to use it

The main problem is that you can't search for words that have less than 4 letters, like "nut" or "oil."

haha; nut oil;

so why dont we have a tutorial section that replies cant be added to, so if you want to be nice enough to create one you make it there and like the guitar of the month, if its not a tutorial its deleated?

i get what some are saying about the laziness factor of sitting back and saying 'spell it out for me; and hold my hand thru each step' but i bet most people would be more likely to make a nice accrate tutorial displaying their skills if someone asked for it and was going to put it in a special section

For some reason, the main topic that I had in mind when I mkade this post got changed around into the typical condesending attitude that many people find offensive when new to this site.. I simply said hey lets get tolgether and ALL put in and make some tutorials... I even went as far as to say I will do the carved top tutorial... I never said I wanted these for myself, im just looking at the original and basic principle and goals of this website. TO HELP, to teach, and to learn how to build stringed instruments, Specifically the guitar, and if pooling together and updating, and making changes, and adding new tutorials for the site will help some guy that is completely lost even with the help of hiscocks book, and the search function then whats the big deal? Dont we want to better this community, and help in anyway we can??

Forgive the rant, i think its the Marine coming out of me. WIth that said, when I see something that can be improved, especially with the help of others than i go to work.

-Steve