make these floyds go away

I own many guitars that have Kahler licensed Floyd Rose systems on them. I now actually regret having these guitars built with a Floyd system installed. I have insterted a block inside of the cavity of most of them and loaded them up with springs to immobilize them.

Someone mentioned a bridge that you can put in place of a Floyd system that fits over the studs and turns the guitar into a fixed bridge system minus the locking nut of course. I have done many google searches and turn up empty, is anyone aware of such a system?

Thank you,

Merritt

they go out of tune when you pick near the bridge

don't rest your palm as hard on the bridge, and set it up a bit better... maybe try headvier strings

the only bridge that comes to mind is the tri tuner, or what ever it's called, but it wasn't designed to retrofit a floyd guitar,

This really upsets me. There are so many people badmouthing the Floyds. I guess most criticism is based on bad setups and cheap floyds. If a well-made floyd(Schaller or Ibanez) is installed and set up correctly none of the aforementioned problems occur.

Most guitar legends play Floyds....they would not do that if the Floyd wouldn't be one of the best tremolos arround. There are so many people especially shop clerks telling you how terrible a Floyd sounds, how it kills your sustain, etc.

This simply is not true. How could Floyd Players like Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani achieve their great guitar sound if the Floyd was that bad?

This really upsets me. There are so many people badmouthing the Floyds. I guess most criticism is based on bad setups and cheap floyds. If a well-made floyd(Schaller or Ibanez) is installed and set up correctly none of the aforementioned problems occur.

Most guitar legends play Floyds....they would not do that if the Floyd wouldn't be one of the best tremolos arround. There are so many people especially shop clerks telling you how terrible a Floyd sounds, how it kills your sustain, etc.

This simply is not true. How could Floyd Players like Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani achieve their great guitar sound if the Floyd was that bad?

Two things:

1) they have guitar techs to maintain all that crap. When I have someone else restringing my 500 guitars, you bet your ass I'll be using floyds.

2) Floyds aren't for everyone. I've got one guitar with one. It's fun, but it's also a major pain in the ass. Especially when you break a string, and lose the hex wrenches to it at the same time. I have one, and I use it. But I'm not buying another one. It's not worth the time needed to set one up and maintain.

Uh.... this topic is taking the wrong turn here. I never said anything bad about Floyds, I have just outgrown using them. The novelty has worn off. I use a lot of alternate tunings and prefer not to have them on some of my guitars anymore.

Has anyone heard of a replacement fixed bridge that fits over Floyd studs?

:D

@All: My post was not aimed directly at one of you. I just felt that I have to defend the Floyd....:D

@Reaper: I agree with you 100%. The Floyd has its disadvantages in handling. It does take more time to replace a broken string and it is certainly less reliable than a fixed bridge. Additionally there is the problem of strings getting sharp during double bends. But there are also alot of prejudices against Floyds which simply are not correct. Nobody has to like the Floyd, but it is certainly not as bad as many people tell you it is. And it simply is the only 100% tuning stable Tremolo I played.

I agree. I played a new Jackson Pro Soloist custom for a while with a Floyd and it wouldnt stay in tune (the shop claimed it had been set up by their tech guy), then I played a second hand £300 Charvel 3 with a REAL floyd in it set up the the nines. and it ruled! Ive never touched licenced floyds since. They just wont cut the mustard with me. Mind you, I never use the buggers anyway, and I just retro fit the Charvel with a fixed bridge (pics when its finished and not before!)

@mj_gant: There is one thing to keep in mind concerning your idea. Many popular bridges like the TOM have to be placed at an angle and therefore cannot be mounted on the floyd studs. If I were you, I would install a standard Tremolo which rests on the body and does not allow upward movement and remove or open the locking nut. Perhaps you'll even find one which fits the old studs.

good try reaper but the problem is that the saddles are directl;y over the studs,and on a floyd they are behind them.

true... I dunno. I just saw it, and thought it might be a solution to the angle problem GM described. Oh well...

I have just outgrown using them. The novelty has worn off.

What do you mean by "outgrown"? Were you using them for dive-bombing and wild stuff like that? I have seen many people comment on how they believe that floyd bridges are for kids who are into this kind of thing. I personally love having the ability to add a little expression to a chord or harmonic without having to bend the neck. I never really was into the dive-bombing but I have nothing against it if that's your thing.

I never really looked at it as a novelty - more of a tool for expanding the guitars abilities.

Do the alternate tunings not work well with the floyds?

Well, anyway I'll look around and let you know if I find anything - I just wanted to chime in with my view on the "Floyd thing". I agree with Marcel that there has been a bit of a misunderstanding of the use of them. There seems to be a group of people out there (not talking about you) who believe they will gain more respect from others by not having one. I don't understand it.

I do understand that you are using tunings that are difficult to use on those bridges - not slamming you.