Found Some Teak

I stumbled across a nice wide piece of 7"x48" 5/4 teak at the lumber yard this morning. It's rough cut, so it'll plane down to a full 4/4. I'm seeing at least one neck in it's near future.

As a bonus, all info I can see tells me the market price is in the +/- $30/BF range. I landed a 2.9 BF board for $17.55. Yay me!

I stumbled across a nice wide piece of 7"x48" 5/4 teak at the lumber yard this morning. It's rough cut, so it'll plane down to a full 4/4. I'm seeing at least one neck in it's near future.

As a bonus, all info I can see tells me the market price is in the +/- $30/BF range. I landed a 2.9 BF board for $17.55. Yay me!

Isn't that stuff for making boats? :D

About 27yrs ago I played in a band that warmed up an older band called WAR. The bass player had a custom Jazz replica that was made of Teak. I was only 16yrs old and that bass felt like it weighed 40lbs, but it really sounded amazing. I decided right then and there I will never own a bass made of Teak wood. :D

Isn't that stuff for making boats? :D

Isn't maple for syrup?

Isn't mahagony for making desks and doors?

:D

Funnily enough, I was reading into non-standard tonewoods. A local lumber importer / shop here carries mahagony and maple luckily enough but a lot of other hardwoods.

There's a few shops in my country that sell wood as tonewood, but it's amazingly expensive for just the cosmetics, and not realy easy for me to get there and transport the wood.

Getting blanks is an option, but again very expensive for what is just the service of glue and sawing.

The shop also has stuff like Cherry, Walnut and Red Cheddar to try out.

The shop also has stuff like Cherry, Walnut and Red Cheddar to try out.

I've never been able to find RED cheddar just aged yellow.... aged_cheddar.jpg

dunno how this will take a finish tho'..... :D (sounds like a bit of a salad to me..... cherry, walnut & cheddar!)

oh sorry - you meant CEDAR...

hah! When a language isn't your first one, you'll make some hilarious mistakes.. walnut, cherry and cheddar.. that indeed sounds like a salad ! :D

maybe I should make a food themed guitar with spaghetti as strings? B)

As always choose carefully - not hard to make it too heavy or bright with inappropriate design and wood choice

Sound advice.

I DID consider weight when puling the trigger to buy it. When I thought of other heavy woods that have been used for guitar necks (bubinga and rosewood to name two) with few balance issues, I didn't figure teak could be that much worse. There are clear plusses for it too: strength, stability, and no finish needed.

In the late 70s/early 80s, I had a regular cheap supply of teak and iroko. My father had a garden shed making business and also made garden furniture, hence the teak and iroko.

I made several guitars out of these woods, and the tone was always very good. The teak was heavier than the iroko, but not excessive. The only problem I had was the fact that both woods are quite oily, especially teak, which is why it is used for garden furniture etc., and I found that using a solvent based degreaser on the wood before applying sealer and paint solved the problem.