Project Open Telecaster

I don't think I have ever said this to you,RAD,but I really like the color contrasting woods you use in your builds...yours may be the most interesting(to me) natural guitars I have seen,along with Orgmorg..

Why thank you Wes. This one reminds me of an OrgMorg type build (though not anywhere near as great as his).

To think I built this one from scraps...

Welcome to the forum Joshatatlasstands!

I love the look of ambrosia but am not the biggest fan of the weight. I prefer Western maple for tops but I had a pile of this stuff running around and I thought it would make a good beater.

Bah hahaha, I love the tele headstock! :D

Chris

It is a little short...

And I am working on that... I needed the blank to be a hair longer to get my shape in it. In the future I will plan accordingly however I was modifying a tele headstock so I got what I got. I built this neck last year as part of a large batch of tele necks... I think I might be ok with an ALLPARTS paddle headstock... (think of the possibilities of making 5 or 6 vintage vibe instruments a year along with the customs).

This is an awesome looking morphed tele. Is the core wood padouk?

SR

Regretfully... I swear at some point I am going to build a superior guitar with Padauk as the core body wood (Padauk necks usually sound great). I think chambering is going to be the answer. I came pretty close on the RedWitch... it is awesome and getting better as it ages. However I had to build 3 sets of pickups to get it right.

Padauk is so hard it can be very bright/harsh... Especially when combined with a eastern maple top (like this one). The softer western maple top seems to tame it better.

Weight is an issue as well. Oh well I have a special set of P90s for this one... we will see.

SR

Regretfully... I swear at some point I am going to build a superior guitar with Padauk as the core body wood (Padauk necks usually sound great). I think chambering is going to be the answer. I came pretty close on the RedWitch... it is awesome and getting better as it ages. However I had to build 3 sets of pickups to get it right.

Padauk is so hard it can be very bright/harsh... Especially when combined with a eastern maple top (like this one). The softer western maple top seems to tame it better.

Weight is an issue as well. Oh well I have a special set of P90s for this one... we will see.

I expect they will sound awesome in it....mine do.

SR

SR

I expect they will sound awesome in it....mine do.

SR

These are following my Diablo design pattern so I am not so sure.... yours were vintage/vintage hot a much easier to predict combo.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally put this together. I have a few updates for it before it goes to finishing. The real nashville bridge is going to get a brass baseplate. Like all traditional nashville bridges this one decided to lean. The answer is going to be a solid brass insert for the recess. It will still be below the top in the recess and practically invisible. It should stabilize the posts, give a solid place to ground, and add to the mojo <I call voodoo>.

P7070634.jpg

P7070635.jpg

P7070636.jpg

P7070637.jpg

• 3 weeks later...