Cherry Blossom

hooglebug

i had this idea about two years ago but never really thought it would work. then avenger went and did something very similar (the swine!!) so at least i knew it would work.

this is what its going to look like

sakurasampleblossominlay.jpg

i havent got the wood for the top yet, but this is the back. its one piece rippled sycamore

SAM_1048.jpg

this is the 12th fret inlay. its the kanji for sakura, which is what the guitar model is called and which is also japanese for cherry blossom. see what i did there? hehe

09.jpg

and here are all the pieces for the top and headstock. there are over 160 little pieces of pink mop, all cut by hand, and the branches are horn

13-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

heres another one iv been doing whilst im waiting for the top wood for the cherry blossom one. i dont have anything to put it on yet, i just had the idea and wanted to do it so i did.

nothings stuck together yet and its not pushed together right so there wont be so many gaps when its in place (in whatever its going to be in place in). also, some of the finer bits snapped off when i was cutting so there are points missing. but o well

oh, and shes about 60mm from hair to toe

SAM_1066.jpg

heres another one iv been doing whilst im waiting for the top wood for the cherry blossom one. i dont have anything to put it on yet, i just had the idea and wanted to do it so i did.

nothings stuck together yet and its not pushed together right so there wont be so many gaps when its in place (in whatever its going to be in place in). also, some of the finer bits snapped off when i was cutting so there are points missing. but o well

oh, and shes about 60mm from hair to toe

SAM_1066.jpg

whoa fatty! :D

yeah its going to be 'fun' when it comes around to doing it! up to now the most complex inlay iv done is that girl up there. and before that a fairy and an eye. and thats it really

Oh, the first picture is a mock up? I thought it was the real thing. Nice photoshop work.

hehe yeah its photoshop. i used guitarnuts tutorial - never used photoshop before.

anyway!

heres the fretboard so far. the horn didnt show up nearly as much as id hoped, so i engraved it a little. the fill is a blue pearl lustre dust/epoxy and brass dust/epoxy. its only sanded to 240 and i stuck a bit of oil on it to bring it out a bit for the pic. the petals will go in as soon as i get my 100 dots

23.jpg

• 2 weeks later...