Thinnest Guitar Neck

I have read several posts concerning how thin a guitar can be. This should change your perception of what is possible and help you think outside of the box. The neck is .625" including the fret height. There is a Dunlop Jazz III pick for scale in the second picture.

Click here to see the World's Thinnest Guitar neck, the Ragas Razor Neck

Edited by Ragasguitars

I hope it's not aluminum... Aluminum moves all over the place with temperature. Are those Rivets for fret markers? I'm not convinced that this is a good design that is about to revolutionize anything. But as an excercise in engineering if it's made stable is pretty cool.

But even for me who played Wizard style necks for years... I've grown out of the thin necks.

I have read several posts concerning how thin a guitar can be. This should change your perception of what is possible and help you think outside of the box. The neck is .625" including the fret height. There is a Dunlop Jazz III pick for scale in the second picture.

Click here to see the World's Thinnest Guitar neck, the Ragas Razor Neck

so what is the point of making it so thin?

i like a thin neck on occasion, but this looks a step too far

To answer some questions, concerns or misinformed opinions:

The fretboard is made of stainless steel and the neck is made of wood. The neck is constructed no different than any traditional guitar except for the fact that it is thinner.

There is dual action truss rod functionality, that is where the truss rod cover comes in, it covers the truss rod nut.

It is a newly engineered fretboard and truss rod under patent review.

The rivets are merely for show and act as the fret markers.

The frets are 1/8" stainless steel which provides a scalloped fretboard feature.

This guitar is no different than any other guitar, it is stable, tested, playable, made of wood, and yes, thin. Why so thin, because it is a test on the limitations of how thin and strong a neck can be and yes while I do agree that it is extreme, it is complete personal preference. Why does anyone like thick necks, or the color blue?

Before posting this I knew it would spark some interesting feedback as it is highly unconventional but I do appreciate the time everyone has taken to comment on this.

Edited by Ragasguitars

You are absolutely right Avenger, that is why I edited my statement. I was trying to make a play on words with the apples thing and the hand cramp thing was out of line. I apologize. Not to mention I can't type worth a crap either.

Edited by Ragasguitars

Why so thin, because it is a test on the limitations of how thin and strong a neck can be and yes while I do agree that it is extreme, it is complete personal preference. Why does anyone like thick necks, or the color blue?

i dont agree - the vast majority of neck shapes fall somewhere between 1" and 3/4", quite a small margin really. these sizes suit the vast majority of hands. It is more about ergonomics (the science of making things fit the user, or the vast majority of users anyway) than it is personal preference.

same with width really, not really more than 1/4" difference betwen a narrow 6 string neck and a wide one because thats a size that works well for most players

Its not simply a case of nobody thinking to make a neck bigger or smaller before - its that they generally dont fit most players hands. I have never gone as thin as you but i have gone very narrow, very wide, very fat and as thin as i dare with a normal wood construction

but what i find more interesting is a chance for improved stability rather than the whole extreme thinness thing

The fact is that not everyone is satisfied with what is available. That is where guys like me come in. It's like telling Shaq, "Sorry, we don't make shoes for you because your foot is not profitable and we only make average sizes." Sometimes it is alright to step outside of the box because we are all different. While I understand that what I am doing is not for everyone, I disagree with the statement that what I like is not a personal preference, that is a contradiction to the definition. I now prefer this neck style as I have always wanted a thinner neck, I am the first customer it was built for and although I may be biased since it is my design, it was built to my exact personal specs. I have as many people tell me they want a thinner neck as I do that say they want a fatter neck so there is some personal preference involved when purchasing a guitar.

I have as many people tell me they want a thinner neck as I do that say they want a fatter neck so there is some personal preference involved when purchasing a guitar.

which is very different to

Why so thin, because it is a test on the limitations of how thin and strong a neck can be and yes while I do agree that it is extreme, it is complete personal preference. Why does anyone like thick necks, or the color blue?

the thing is - i dont have to prove a need for or validity of ultra skinny necks. but if you are serious about this then you may want to consider a better way to get these things across - we have not said anything that your random bunch of guitarists wouldnt say

The fact is that not everyone is satisfied with what is available. That is where guys like me come in. It's like telling Shaq, "Sorry, we don't make shoes for you because your foot is not profitable and we only make average sizes." Sometimes it is alright to step outside of the box because we are all different. While I understand that what I am doing is not for everyone, I disagree with the statement that what I like is not a personal preference, that is a contradiction to the definition. I now prefer this neck style as I have always wanted a thinner neck, I am the first customer it was built for and although I may be biased since it is my design, it was built to my exact personal specs. I have as many people tell me they want a thinner neck as I do that say they want a fatter neck so there is some personal preference involved when purchasing a guitar.

If you're going to sell these things, I would advise that you hire a public relations professional or a mar-com professional to handle your communications in the future. Having the chops to build an innovative(debatable) neck and having the chops to message it to potential clients are two totally different things. You are adept at the former, the latter, not so much. :D

Very cool look though. I like the pop rivets as fret markers idea. I'd bet a blued(gunbarrel) neck would look pretty sweet.

Makes my hand cramp up just thinking about it.

Me too.

I used to think thin necks were where it's at for some odd reason. I wanted to shred and I think I just heard everybody talk about thin necks and shred at the same time so I thought there was something to it. I've seen a lot of people say thin necks are "faster" or whatever. I don't even know what that means.....?

Anyway, I used to look for guitars with the thinnest necks and never even really thought about how it was making my hand feel. When I finally got over that and graduated to bigger necks, I wondered what the hell I was thinking for all those years. My hands have been a lot happier too. So I definitely cringe at the thought of a really thin neck, and I often think people who are after ultra thin necks are possibly falling victim to hype rather than listening to what their hands are telling them.

However, it's not the feel of the neck that worries me the most....it's the thought of how it's going to sound with a stainless steel fretboard and an insignificant amount of wood.

I used to think thin necks were where it's at for some odd reason. I wanted to shred and I think I just heard everybody talk about thin necks and shred at the same time so I thought there was something to it. I've seen a lot of people say thin necks are "faster" or whatever.

Same here...I have had alot of hand problems the last few years and started searching for something comfortable.Now I have a Gibson Explorer that really suits me.I doubt anyone would say they are considered thin.

But I see why someone would build something so thin.I have rather long fingers which is most likely why this neck suits me,plus I play with thumb firmly on the thickest part of the neck.

BUT there are men with small hands and women(try not to forget) with very,very small hands who can't get around on a thick neck(no I am not trying to imply anything),so I think they might benefit.

SS board though is not for me.Aluminum maybe..if it was anodized or powdercoated or something...Ebony is damn stiff and proven,and there are even tougher woods than that.

I think someone should create a line of instruments to be comfortable for very small hands...meaning thin in width as well as depth,maybe a 24" scale,and a bridge at a width of about 1 7/8" or even 1 3/4"(low E to high E I mean.)

I have thought about it.I think my picking would greatly improve with less space between strings.

The reason most here are against the idea I think is because everyone here knows the thin neck thing is mostly based on marketing hype..like jumbo frets and oiled neck. :D

If your hand cramps just thinking about a guitar, mayber yuo should try a different instrument.

"So, how do you like that for apples?"

I had no issue up until that last statement. It smacks of superiority and condescension, and is thus more instigative than conversational.

While i fully support you pushing the limits of what can be done i have to agree with John not every one wants or likes a thin neck so loose the atitude.

Edited by Tim37

If I may chime in... It seems like an excercise in engineering. Look at the ergonomic guitars, for instance. Twisted necks and quad contoured bodies... They're just some of the many aspects aesthetically associated with a guitar. I prefer a thin neck (.78") at the first fret or so. It plays "faster" for me because there's less "thumbpit" drag as I move. And i'm by no means a shredder. I'm a drummer first, a half-assed guitarist nowhere near second, and a wannabe luthier. It may be sonically inferior (or not), but it's still pretty interesting provided it's stable. That said, there is such a thing as "too thin."

BUT there are men with small hands and women(try not to forget) with very,very small hands who can't get around on a thick neck(no I am not trying to imply anything),so I think they might benefit.

Exactly :D

I have larger than average hands, and mine cramp up with thick necks. Personally, my thin necks are the most comfortable for me.

This one fits her perfectly

dc-1Shelley.jpg

If your hand cramps just thinking about a guitar, mayber yuo should try a different instrument.

"So, how do you like that for apples?"

I had no issue up until that last statement. It smacks of superiority and condescension, and is thus more instigative than conversational.

While i fully support you pushing the limits of what can be done i have to agree with John not every one wants or likes a thin neck so loose the atitude.

He immediately edited the original post and apologized for coming off like that. As far as I'm concerned, we're good. :D

I actually edited it before you posted and was hoping no one read it as I knew it was wrong. Just venting. I don't mind answering question, but what I don't like is assumptions about my work which I take a lot of pride in. I hope we can stay cool!

As far as the sound is concerned, it sounds great in my opinion and in the opinion of everyone who has tried. As an example to the comparison of sound, a guy at a Guitar Center was playing on his 7 string Ibanez with EGM's, asked to play this guitar and was shocked at the sound. I have actually compared it to my Jackson Kelly with EMG's and it blows it away, mostly due in part to the Floyd on my Kelly which has the middle of the body completely routed out which I have always thought sounded thin to begin with. It actually sounds better on clean if you ask me and I am a metal head.

As far as hand cramping, I thought it would be difficult to manage that at first but this is the only guitar I have been playing since I built it so I guess my hand over came the initial shock and adjusted quickly. My hand would probably cramp going back to a thicker neck now as I am conditioned to this thin neck.