HELP! Sanding/Filing/Shaping Glass

Can't help too much, but I asked the same thing a few years back in reference to a slightly whacko idea I had in mind, and I was told that if I went ahead with it, to be VERY VERY CAREFUL and wear a respirator at all times, to even do it outside w/ a respirator, something about the glass dust being extremely harmful to your lungs or something along those lines...stick this in the FWIW dept...

Disco Jem!!!! Sorta Paul Stanley-esque. Have you thought about using the Plastic Mirror material instead of real glass? Is basically lexan with a mirror back. A whole lot easier to cut than glass

You probably mean acrylic mirror, because acrylic is harder and more scratch-resistant than lexan though less flexible if I am not mistaken (at room temperature anyway). And the guitar would end up a lot lighter than with a glass mirror.

thats handy to have,as i may have another to do after,the mirror i have about 75% laid,they came off xmas decorations,which is why i bought them

I have a very fine metal file which seems to work ok,and i have'nt had a single splinter yet ... keep peepers open for the finished jobby :-)

Rob

Disco Jem!!!! Sorta Paul Stanley-esque. Have you thought about using the Plastic Mirror material instead of real glass? Is basically lexan with a mirror back. A whole lot easier to cut than glass

plastic mirrors ... now you tell me :D I started it in the knowledge i may come up against a few barriers,if it does'nt work out i'll have to lift the glass and lay plastic instead

Rob

The only thing I can think of to get rid of the exposed edges would be to bind the body, thus covering em up.

This is ME were talking about,i'd just bugger binding/purfling completely :D

I'm thinking of Grout of some description just to keep it smoother round the edge's and the top,to get rid of any sharp extrusions

Rob

Jem7RB UK Posted on Jan 6 2004, 09:13 AM

(jammy @ Jan 6 2004, 01:14 PM)

The only thing I can think of to get rid of the exposed edges would be to bind the body, thus covering em up. 

This is ME were talking about,i'd just bugger binding/purfling completely

im kinda scared of binding also!!