Bubinga Mini Lp-ish

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really I would just like to use more hand tools and less power tools.Seems like most mistakes I make are due to power tool misuse or failure...and sanding is a pain in the ass...so if I can use scrapers to minimize hand and power sanding,and get better with planes and such,maybe I can get better results.

Well,I was re-reading Bob Flexner's book and he goes on and on about scrapers being a real woodworkers tool,and how much of a better tool than sandpaper it is.he even said you can use them to level finishes between coats..so how could I resist?

Makes sense. I use them when i level off epoxy, or any large buildups/runs before I apply my final coat/2nd or 3rd to last coat.

Fretting is so tough...I mean,getting frets in and level and making them play well is easy,but trying to get them into a well polished fretboard without scratching or marring anything is a chore and a half. :D

Anyway..half the fretboard done...only one chipout and two scratches that I have repaired.the chipout happened when I was hammering the ends in just enough to hold them while I press the rest in..the end sprang up and loosened a chip with it..I immediately glued it back and I beveled all of the other slots to hopefully stop it from happening again.

SS frets by the way.The last of the lot I got from Perry years ago.

l_96d87345ffdc4c7983246559baf9ecd1.jpg

So I know most people post each task as they get it done,but that ain't me..I post by what I do as I am doing it.So annoying as it may be...

I had an idea as I was driving home from work today.I was thinking about what kind of control cavity cover I wanted...I am really tired of grain matching wood covers that don't really look that cool anyway,and I can't see just a black plastic or aluminum plate..then it struck me...a clear cover would be awesome...

So a while back I bought a whole bunch of CD jewel cases...they are just sitting here..so I took an LP cover plate I had lying around and used that stewmac fret slot cleaner to etch around it onto the jewel case

l_04e21a8c82854a9595ebcdd09fde4198.jpg

l_1febcf451e7342209eadc31dd948c83d.jpg

Cut it out on the bandsaw and sanded it ti final shape,then I took the micromesh up to 12000 and I have a satin cover that I will hit with a clear gloss varnish because it scratches way too easy as it is...so I will be able to peek in at my wiring any time I want.

l_a135a09bb35f4c3fb9995c5db2b7a124.jpg

I traced around it

l_82b9e7870d314830b488d5c7fa0fd360.jpg

And I routed out the cavity,which I don't have pics of yet.I also drilled for the controls..volume,3 way toggle,tone...I really am wanting to get some of those new EMG coil tappable pups,and if I do I will be drilling for a couple of mini toggles as well.

l_d5c609f52881473fb0e57cac4ce01603.jpg

Then I took my handle of my fret slot cleaning tool and rounded over the controls at the top..sorry about the fuzzy pic.

l_ea7cc1ed2cbe4fb7ac37b0fe48f83736.jpg

That is all I have done today...I am waiting for a new slot cleaning tool to finish my fretting...tomorrow I am going to try to finish the body work..i have a small belly cut to add and a bunch of sanding...

So the control cavity..I am trying new things this build,so I did the Forstner bit thing and hogged out most of the wood,then cleaned it up with the router...but the recess for the control cavity was being difficult,so I stopped routing and got out the chisel...

I traced out the outline with a small chisel

l_0d2e2e8f2905452f988a3b9685aa6b92.jpg

and then I chiseled out the ledge and sanded it smooth with sandpaper wrapped around a small piece of brass...it looks like it does not fit too well,but I did that to leave room for the finish..I usually forget that and then have to make the plate smaller afterward.

l_f46cdc0881b1456db6d10e796a21b2bb.jpg

I really like the look of the clear cover..but the great thing is that if I decide I don't like it later,all I have to do is take it off and paint the back of the plate any color I want..and it will never scratch off since it is on the inside.

Thanks..I really appreciate that you guys like it..

RAD..the dry body weight right now is 3.8 pounds...I was hoping to get a super thin single cut that would still balance on a strap,and I think I have it..the neck is really light,too...1.4 pounds..the hardware weighs 2.1 pounds..totaling 6.9 pounds..I expect after finishing it may weigh up to 8 pounds,but possibly a bit less.

I am creating an inlay for the headstock that I started years ago,and finally it seems to fit the guitar well enough..I am trying to create some horns out of that same material I used for the dots..and I am going to Etch in some crooked teeth into the faux ivory

l_00092db9598d4c3789a8122ba6b31875.jpg

Ok so looking back through the build... I like the horns.

Next time I would build the neck out of Bubinga as well. Not sure if it was an option but if you get the chance it would be interesting. I am starting to lean towards alternative neck woods these days as maple is "done to death". I just picked up some bubinga for neck lams and fretboard but haven't purchased a big enough piece for anything meaningful yet.

Really that is a decent body weight. I have sapele that weighs that much... now I am starting to think about a full on bubinga guitar...gggrrrr (I don't think I will look at this thread anymore cause I don't have time for such silliness :D ).