Maxed Out Truss

Hey all, I've ran into a few instruments that had too much relief in the neck but the truss seemed maxed out and I couldn't get rid of it. Is there anything to do about this? Also, how far can you push a rod before something breaks?

There is no set answer to how much pressure a rod can take.It depends on the rod and the neck construction..I am guessing it is a single action rod that gives you problems,because double action rods are very strong.

One thing I have done is to loosen the strings up and pull the headstock towards me while tightening up the nut...it releases some of the tension on the nut so it turns easier...but you should only go about 1/4 turn max at a time and then let the neck sit for a few hours before checking it again...sometimes it takes a bit before it straightens out...

But the truth is that in some cases you just can't get it as straight as you want it without risking the rod..

I've tested that because I wanted to see for myself! :D

After installation and a little turn to make it snug, the braking point of the stew mac double way hot rod (which is my favourite truss rod) brakes after a full turn (I mean you must really force it)...

I've tested this twice on 2 necks (one flamed maple - one sipo mahogany) on which I made mistakes and I then used them as dummy necks for the test :D

I've also had that problem (maxed or insanely tight rods) on two guitars. The solution for me was to use Dan Erlewine's clamp method as described in one of his Stew Mac Trade Secrets columns. I'm not sure if this method is also provided in his book, but it might be. Basically, you rig up a C-clamp system with a couple of wood blocks, tighten the clamps to straighten the neck, and then you use the rod to hold it in place. As Erlewine described, you use the clamps to do all the "heavy lifting." It might seem like this wouldn't work, but it sure did for me and the neck never shifted after that. Now anytime I encounter a questionable rod, I apply this method to avoid the risk of a broken rod or stripped nut.

Cheers,

Bert

Edited by stratoskier

• 2 weeks later...