grounding question

MzI

in the next week or so i hope to be wiring my pickups i kno all the basics and have the schematics but wen it comes to the groundin im a lil confused. supposedly you hafta connect the ground wire to the bridge or bridge studs how the hell do u do that once i get that i think i should be all set

thanx in advance

MzI

Everything should be grounded. There are a few ways you can ground your bridge, it depends on what kind of guitar you are wiring up. If your guitar has a flush mounted pickguard you can poke the wire into one of the bridge mounting holes and push the stud in on top of it. Then run the wire to your pickup cavity and feed it into your control cavity, along with the pickup wires. Once the pickguard is laid down it should cover the wire. If you are using a thick wire you might have to cut a shallow channel in the body so your pickguard lies flat.

Another way for a TOM bridge (LP style guitars w/ raised pickguard) is to drill directly from your control cavity to the post hole, poke the wire in and push the stud in.

I've also seen a ground wire soldered to the trem claw in the back of a stratocaster style guitar. I guess this effectively grounds the bridge as the claw is connected via springs to the trem block to the bridge, all metal pieces in contact with each other.

Drill a small hole from your control (vol and tone pots) cavity to the nearest bridge stud hole. Push a ground wire into the hole you drilled until you can see the bare end when looking into the stud hole. Hook it up and lay it along the wall of the stud hole then push your stud in.

www posted a very valuable link. I think there are many guitarists who don't understand the dangers associated with having everything grounded (on the guitar). I'm not saying it shouldn't be done - I'm just pointing out that all you are actually doing is making a common connection to your cable. If your cable get's plugged into something faulty - you're a dead man even if you did everything right inside your guitar.

Not grounding things doesn't guarentee safety either - I'm all for it. I'm just glad to see that there are others who are aware of the issues and are passing it along.

One other thing - if you are using EMG's don't ground them the way you would with other pickups. Check out their wiring diagrams / site for a description.

on my tom i drilled a small hole from the mounting hole to my control cavity (i think) and the earth wire i used i soldered to the stud. i ground the stud, and soldered to it (with difficulty and ALOT of heat!!) making sure it was flush, then thumped the stud in...

Scott Rosenberger Posted on Jan 6 2004, 10:05 AM

Where's wes? he usually jumps in and mentions that Active pickups dont' need to have the bridge grounded :D

hehe, too true. actives are great!

I have EMGs in my other 2 guitars and i kno you dont hafta ground them they are internally done already which is great, this guitar im goin with duncans to mix it up a lil a jb zebra in the bridge and a duncan designed in the neck from my old exp til i can get a jazz zebra

MzI

Where's wes? he usually jumps in and mentions that Active pickups dont' need to have the bridge grounded

I guess I filled in for him.

One other thing - if you are using EMG's don't ground them the way you would with other pickups. Check out their wiring diagrams / site for a description.

on my tom i drilled a small hole from the mounting hole to my control cavity (i think) and the earth wire i used i soldered to the stud. i ground the stud, and soldered to it (with difficulty and ALOT of heat!!) making sure it was flush, then thumped the stud in...

by the way most people don't solder the tom,they just slip the bare wire in the hole and push the stud in next to it,trapping it between the stud and the side of the hole