Heater Custom

I was inspired when watching a local minor league baseball team last summer. They have a really nice logo, and I thought it would make a cool guitar. The mascot's name is "Heater"...so naturally that is what I'm calling it. I finished the design, and submitted it to the Dayton Dragons organization in Aug 2010. They liked it enough to want to use it as a promo item for the 2011 season. We kicked around several ideas. Possibly in a TV commercial, or the National Anthem on opening day. But, at this point nothing is set in stone.

Here are the rough specs (subject to change of course) :D

Alder body

Maple neck-thu

Macassar ebony bound fret board

Pearlessence baseball dot inlays with the Dragon's logo at the 12th fret

"Dragon's Tail" HS

TOM bridge

String-thru body

Lace "Deathbucker

1 Vol

Originally I designed the body to be a 3D relief... But I may keep it flat. The back of the neck & front of the HS will have airbrushed scales. New years day sounded like a good day to start a project :D So, I started working on the inlays today, and I have them ready to glue in. I have till around April 1st to complete the guitar.

heater-custom-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been video documenting this build for the customer. Havent taken many still shots...figured I should post something:

heaterpic1.jpg

I'm pleased with it so far. The customer & I decided the best route was a non-contoured top. I should have it ready for paint next week. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well...a month has gone by, and all I have done is primer this beast. :D I had a problem with the binding yellowing on me. It's the first (and last) time I have used "boltaron" from LMI. I wanted a stark white binding. And it was until I masked it and primed. Now I cant seem to sand out the yellowing. It looks like I will just have to live with it. B)

On a brighter note, I met with the customer who was pleased with the everything but the progress. :D So, I decided to send it off to Mike Learn for the airbrushing, clear & buffing. Check out his site: Mike Learn Guitars Aside from being an accomplished artist, Mike is also a luthier.

• 1 month later...