Tremolo Suggestions

I am in the process of building a PRS style guitar (build thread is open if you haven't seen it)

Anyway, I haven't messed with building a trem guitar before, will any trem work or will I have to get a PRS style? I don't feel like spending 200.00 on the trem to be honest, the guitar is just going to be for me anyway. If I can fit a strat style or something in there I will as they are far more abundant and cheaper.

personally I thing the Wilkinson VS100 or even the cheaper Korean made VS50II version is probably the best non locking tremolo around. I'm in the process of building a Strat-like NorthStar right now and I have their WV2SB (modern two point fulcrum with bent steel saddles for look and sound) here to try out. The initial feel is as good as the VS100.

EDIT: Oh, and the WV2SB costs almost nothing. Like 55$ including VAT in Sweden so it must be available much cheaper elsewhere

..... will any trem work or will I have to get a PRS style?

I can honestly say that if you plan it out right, you can make almost any tremolo unit work on almost any guitar. I think theres a youtube vid of a Floyded acoustic somewhere. :D

Before you rout for a trem tho, do you use it enough to justify all the wood removal/expense?

I've done up a few tremolo guitars now and the tremolo's themselves really dont see much action. I guess the whammy bar is like a flanger unit... you think it'll be great, you get one, doink with it a bit and discover you'll hardly ever use it...... :D

I'll second the Wilkinson VS100. I just used one and it is a very nice unit. Not too expensive and I like the saddles for it.

Yes, the VS100 is a very nice trem, better than the VS50 IMO. I have a VS50 from a 3-4 years ago and the saddle adjustment screws are like butter - they strip very easily. The VS100 is much better in this regard.

Interesting. However I mentioned the VS50II. That is the unit I used not long ago. The "II" part must indicate an upgrade as the VS50II I used didn't show any of that problem

Interesting. However I mentioned the VS50II. That is the unit I used not long ago. The "II" part must indicate an upgrade as the VS50II I used didn't show any of that problem

I'm really tempted to try the VS50 mkII because of the price difference. That 3-4 year old VS50 I got (from guiarpartsresource) is holding up very well. The trick to adjusting the saddle lockdown screws without stripping them on the older VS50s is to lower saddle using the two hex screws, then adjust and bring the saddle back up.

Where did you get your VS50 mkII? guitarpartsresource.com and guitarfetish.com both have them it seems.