Project S906 #5

Great build. I noticed you oiled the body before glueing the neck, is there any danger of the oil afecting the glueing? or you just don't let the oil get into the mortice. Did I mention this is a great build?

Not oil. Mineral Spirits...sorry about the confusion. Mineral spirits eventually will flash off after a few hours. The pictures are taken over the course of 3 days.

I always sand my joints then blow them off right before gluing them (even if it has only been a day since cutting).

A fresh joint is a strong joint. Titebond does not like old wood surfaces...

For epoxy joints I usually hit them with acetone before actually gluing them up (superstition).

My mistake, Thanks a lot for the info.

On the other hand, the mineral spirits do look approximately like the oil will.....and this will look approximately blazin' hot when you get it oiled up.

I like the brown streaks too.

SR

I am excited... it comes out of the clamps tonight. If I get time tonight I will carve the heal. I could have strings on this thing by Friday.

I sold all my S9s except for Redwitch and the first 7 string. It will be so awesome to have another one around...

I did wind a set of off white Diablos for it in case I don't like the black out. I also ordered some special unplated pole pieces in case they need to look dirty...

Really would love to do some torched chrome covers on this one but I really hate the sound of a HB with a cover (again superstitiously believing I can really tell the difference).

On the other hand, the mineral spirits do look approximately like the oil will.....and this will look approximately blazin' hot when you get it oiled up.

I like the brown streaks too.

SR

I am excited... it comes out of the clamps tonight. If I get time tonight I will carve the heal. I could have strings on this thing by Friday.

I sold all my S9s except for Redwitch and the first 7 string. It will be so awesome to have another one around...

I did wind a set of off white Diablos for it in case I don't like the black out. I also ordered some special unplated pole pieces in case they need to look dirty...

Really would love to do some torched chrome covers on this one but I really hate the sound of a HB with a cover (again superstitiously believing I can really tell the difference).

I always thought that covered (shielded) pickups were quieter than those with exposed coils, what is your theory about the difference?

I always thought that covered (shielded) pickups were quieter than those with exposed coils, what is your theory about the difference?

Ummm... no. Shielding and Covers are 2 different things though some can serve both functions. This is a longer discussion than I am willing to put the effort into...sorry.

General consensus would be for a PAF the metal covers kill the highs from a pickup (the reason Eric Clapton removed his covers in the first place). Depending on the quality of your PAF cover the effects are slightly different.. I use high quality nickel silver covers and get good results with minimal effects to the overall sound.

There are other variations as Rickenbacker Toasters, Gretsch Filtertrons, anything Bill Lawrence designed for Gibson in the 70s all have different styles of shielding and covers.

Ummm... no. Shielding and Covers are 2 different things though some can serve both functions. This is a longer discussion than I am willing to put the effort into...sorry.

General consensus would be for a PAF the metal covers kill the highs from a pickup (the reason Eric Clapton removed his covers in the first place). Depending on the quality of your PAF cover the effects are slightly different.. I use high quality nickel silver covers and get good results with minimal effects to the overall sound.

There are other variations as Rickenbacker Toasters, Gretsch Filtertrons, anything Bill Lawrence designed for Gibson in the 70s all have different styles of shielding and covers.

Cool. Thanks. :D

Could have sworn I just saw different pictures of a different guitar, checked a different page of this thread to be sure I had the right one then went back and they were to the right pictures? Am I seeing things?

It is called "edit"

Haha that's what I was thinking happened I was just making sure I wasn't seeing things :D

• 3 weeks later...

No finish yet. Plus these are bad pictures... I was just excited that it was together and looks as scary as it does.

I will use Behlen Teak Oil to start then some secrets tricks at the end. But it will be a week or two before I start finishing it. The chop is a mess with CNC dust...

I have been playing it a lot so far and I am amazed at how balanced it sounds with all the ebony. The only fix needed is the heal needs a bit more work. I still have to add some electronics as I am going to go with a 3-way and vol instead of the push/pull. It still needs to settle but so far so good.

I will get some better pics this weekend... then disassemble and start on the finish.

Thanks for the good words everyone!

I am most proud of the scarf joint that is basically invisible.

• 2 months later...

There are bad days... then there are "Bad Days". Today was a bad day. Disheartening but not catastrophic in the grand scheme of the universe. Here are the lessons to take from this. Always finish guitars soon after finishing the wood work. The big mistake I made was finishing the wood work in the winter and leaving the guitar until the spring to finish.

After moving the guitar to the garage for finishing the limba (which had a lot of end grain showing) decided to swell. The Limba moved as much as 1/32 on the horns. Limba and Ebony move at different speeds. Limba moved faster than the ebony. Couple that with all the oil I flooded the guitar with and the top pulled itself loose about a 1/4" in on 3 sides.

After I found it I left it for the week...

P5090334.jpg

P5090335.jpg

P5090336.jpg

P5090337.jpg