Spalted Elm Twins

I scored some cheap spalted elm on the bay, ended up with four tops for 42 bucks delivered.

So two of my 10 dollar tops are going to be twins - these two:

IMG_0284.jpg

Here are the specs :

Bass - 5 string, 34 inch scale ,24 jumbo frets ,

Guitar - 7 string, 26.5" scale , 24 jumbo frets .

Bodies are both Sapele back with the Elm tops.

Bass neck is Padouk with an Elm headstock and cocobolo board.

Guitar neck is Bloodwood with an Elm headstock and cocobolo board .

So far I have the sapele glued up and the bass body topped and shaped.

Both necks are scarfed and square, awaiting truss rods and fret boards,shaping, etc.

I will take some better pics tomorrow and get it started properly.

On a side note, my brothers bass

IMG_0270.jpg

is drying { teak oil }

and my big-horned bass

IMG_0308.jpg

is up to 400 grit.

Slow winter so far, but I might just get 5 done this year. :D

• 1 month later...

O.K...

Edited the first post to reflect the fret~board change. I have put bookmatched cocobolo fretboards on them both, which is keeping with the 'twins' theme and are all from the same board. It was BM'd once, then again, one for each neck.

So, bodies are cut out and shaped- unrouted, necks are still in need of inlay,radiusing, frets, etc but they are coming along.

• 7 months later...

Oh my creaking bones ! :D

After a long, long spring, summer and fall, I am ready for some time off ! Time to build again, but I can't start anything new until I finish off the projects I have going already, so... we are here again. The Twins.

I got the bodies all glued up, shaped n such and carved the neck pockets. That was the end of the project for the most part.

I made a mistake on the neck pocket of the guitar. The bass is still looking good, but the guitar may be in un-recoverable territory. The heel of the guitar was NOT checked for proper size prior to laying out the neck pocket on the body. B)

After initial routing, it fits great, but when I went to shape the neck, I realized that the heel was too wide and that when getting the taper, the pocket would now be too wide.... so - what to do?

This is where I begin this season. Figuring out whether to ditch this build and move forward, fix it and continue or what.. I have a few other builds / projects in mid stream as well, so I won't be doing a lot of new builds as much as finishing these up.

Pics laters. :D

• 4 weeks later...

...and here's the guitar. :D

IMG_0769.jpg

and

IMG_0771.jpg.

So - here's the issues I have to deal with in order to continue the twins thru........

The neck heel is too wide and the neck will look funny. If I remove the heel to follow the neck taper, there will be a gap in the pocket. If I dont, the neck will bulge out too far on the bass side near the pocket..... (see pic above )

Also - the FB has to be reclaimed since I laid it out for a 25.5" scale and actually started CUTTING it into the board. Got to about the 12th fret before I snapped out of whatever planet I was on and realized my boo-boo. I had a thick FB to begin with so I am taking this one down past the slots and trying again. Its going to make a flatter radius than planned, along with a thinner FB now.

The guits are for me, so I can live with a boo-boo, and I would love to get these finished. For now, I'm forging ahead. Too much more and this'll be fire-wood though.....

I can officially be added to the list of people who dislike the SM hotrod and the depth of the rod rout they cause. - along with the need for a certain router bit....

I blew through the back of the guitar neck while shaping it. - I guess I can be added to that list too, :D

This , of course was after re-planing the FB, etc. and thinking I was still in 'usable' territory.

I has possessed cocobolo's????

its a beautiful looking waste of wood, I know that much.

( goes back to the drawing board.... )

I've been working on a save in my head, and I think I may have it.... it makes me wonder though... how many times do I 'save' a neck gone bad ?!? Its a nice neck- bloodwood, elm and cocobolo, but man ! Its really testing me. :D I think I have it tho... I'm doing up a back strap of maple to cover the burnthru , then I'll reshape the neck. if it fails, I'll make a fire and post the vid. :D

There are two more on the back

:D

:D

The high B and E strings have octave strings along with them . Its tuned like a Fender 6, one octave below a guitar. Having the two ringy strings has some neat sounds. Its really easy to play the intro to 'wherever I may roam' by Metallica, for example.

8 strings, lots of octave stuff going on. Octobass. B)

I can officially be added to the list of people who dislike the SM hotrod and the depth of the rod rout they cause. - along with the need for a certain router bit....

I blew through the back of the guitar neck while shaping it. - I guess I can be added to that list too, :D

The SM hotrods are monstors of things - completely massive. I tried a rival brand that I thought was going to be great, I finished a build and went to setup the guitar and the hex key rounded off first turn. Cheap chinese crap.

Had to remove the fretboard and reroute for a real truss rod on a fresh build - then repaint. You can imagine I wasnt happy.

So what did I learn from all this? Pay extra and buy http://www.alliedlutherie.com/ These are the bestrods are I've ever used. I've installed several of these now and they've been perfect every time. Thin. Strong. High quality and they even come with their own hex key. I can carve a super thin profile and not get through.

Worth the extra dollars.

P.S. - I'm not affiliated! I just want them to keep making them so I can keep buying them.

Thanks for that link.... I know of Allied but have never ordered from them. All my necks have been built with a SM hotrod- I still have one or two left too. I've never gone through to the truss rod rout before, but I also *usually* make pencil marks to follow when shaping - this time I skipped that part. :D

Won't be doing that again.

On a side note : the "save" was glued up last night... we'll see how it works out today.

........ I finished a build and went to setup the guitar and the hex key rounded off first turn. Cheap chinese crap.

.......So what did I learn from all this?

Here's what I've learned about TR's so far... no matter who makes them - I always test them before installing them. Lock em down and torque in both directions. Once they prove to me they work, then I install em.

Now- to just never shape one so thin again ! :D