Crushed Mop In Epoxy

I found some of the same stuff I'm looking for in pre-made laminate sheets at a knife handle website but it was outrageously expensive. Then I found the flakes at a custom fingernail materials site :D and ordered some.

oysterivory.jpg

I guess I'll give it a try and post my results in case anyone wants to try in the future. I'll try it out on some scrap to see if it's going to work. Worth a try I guess.

Thanks for the responses. And Crash, that was a cool idea that guy had with the bass. :D

Edited by IPA or death

i would be tempted to make blanks to inlay rather than pour the chips into the route before adding glue

pour the shards and some clear epoxy onto a flat non-stick surface like some waxed glass or silicone sheet - possibly make a square mold to phelp - then cut the inlays out of the resulting sheet

it will look a lot cleaner than just pouring them in

i would be tempted to make blanks to inlay rather than pour the chips into the route before adding glue

pour the shards and some clear epoxy onto a flat non-stick surface like some waxed glass or silicone sheet - possibly make a square mold to phelp - then cut the inlays out of the resulting sheet

Ummm...suddenly I'm feeling really stupid. I hadn't thought of that :D .

BTW, I still can't imagine how this product can be used for fingernails, can you? :D Seems like it would come out like lizard scales or something.

Ummm...suddenly I'm feeling really stupid. I hadn't thought of that :D .

BTW, I still can't imagine how this product can be used for fingernails, can you? :D Seems like it would come out like lizard scales or something.

There are some things you just don't want to know... B)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

its funny, i just saw this on a website the other day and thought to myself "hm, never saw this before". They dont seem to have pearl but its still something.

http://www.cookwoods.com/Mineral%20page.htm

Umm, those acrylic stabilized blanks...coloured, stabilized neck anyone? Or am I missing something here?

so long

Andreas aka Ace