Flame Top Tele Style / H-h W/ Trem

Ok, one more pic. Tomorrow is delivery day. A bit nervous, this is my first electric that wasn't for myself or my son. It's going to a pretty hard working musician that plays with a bunch of high level players. The guitar's new owner is married to a photographer so I'm hoping to get some really pro pics shortly. Hopefully this build starts a chain of commissions. I've got a couple of original designs tucked back I hope to bring out soon.

P1010565.jpg

Edited by 3DogNate

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow... I´m making a red, maple topped tele too and I hope it´s going to look as good as yours :D

Did you seal also the maple on the sides or you just carefuly dyed the top?

Yeah, I'd like to know too.

Dyes tend to creep into the wood and on the side view, you can see that, usually. Perhaps if the sides were sealed 1st, you wouldn't have this problem.

Not really trying to dredge up an old thread But,I was just sent this video by the guitar's owner with it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/30ieBqUVRSI

"Where are they now" update's are always cool!

The guitar suits that guy to a T... Looks great up on stage and it's looks just right, it's like him and the guitar are a perfect match!

I bet watching that makes you feel proud as. I would be!

Wow... I´m making a red, maple topped tele too and I hope it´s going to look as good as yours :D

Did you seal also the maple on the sides or you just carefuly dyed the top?

Yeah, I'd like to know too.

Dyes tend to creep into the wood and on the side view, you can see that, usually. Perhaps if the sides were sealed 1st, you wouldn't have this problem.

Easy... yep, I sealed the sides and back with shellac then final sanded the top to make sure the top had no shellac. Then I dyed the top with denatured alcohol and Transtint dye. (I don't do water based dyes when there is bare wood involved.) and scraped and sanded the eage to break the sharp edge and expose a little more maple. Spray another coat of shellac over the whole thing again to seal in the top. After that is dry I mask off the Maple binding with 3M Pinstriping tape (Vinyl not Crepe) and masked off the top then I was able to shoot a toner coat over the back and sides. The shellac sealer makes for nice crisp tape lines and no bleed.