Which shall I do?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

This:

417925_130.jpg

Or this:

417925_129_full.jpg

Pickups on Strat would prolly not be 3 EMGs.

Tele would be as seen, tho reliced a bit more.

Strat would look much like the simulation.

Tele color is in the air.

Sharkies on tele would be ebony.

Both look cool. As I dont like Teles much I vote for the Strat. I can only repeat what I always say: Why did Leo Fender design the Strat as an improvement to the Tele if the Tele is the better guitar? There is no single thing you can do with a Tele and not with a Strat. It sounds very similar because of the very similar construction, but it is blocky and uncomfortable and looks bland to me compared to the elegant timeless design of the strat.

I think the Strat would look cooler with a singlecoil in the middle and at the neck though and this way you would get all the cool Strat Tones.

Greets,

MK!

There is no single thing you can do with a Tele and not with a Strat. It sounds very similar because of the very similar construction, but it is blocky and uncomfortable and looks bland to me compared to the elegant timeless design of the strat.

Personal opinions and solid facts are sometimes two completely separate matters.

Facts should not be mistaken for opinions, and opinions not mistaken for facts.

If you posted that statement at any Fender-related site, you would be met with a sheer tidal wave of disagreement. :D

PS Jeff, neither one really does anything for me, neither stands out in a 'luthier' kind of way. I like guitars these days that have some kind of motif that ties it all together, like the El Dorado example, both of those guitars just look like run-of-the-mill guitars to me.

Or a shape that is your own, not a copy of a popular thing.

Everyone and his brother has these types of guitars already.

Something that shows that you planned and thought it all out much further than a parts-slapper would have. Something that everyone would go, 'why didn't I think of that'?

Neither of those stands out to me as anything special (you asked for opinions :D )

you are the master at finding pics of stuff, this post doesn't seem to be up to your normally creative par.

PPS, I think Maple necks look tremendously beautiful with abalone inlays, especially big traps or blocks.

I think black inlays on Maple just look stupid and I would never want a guitar that had that. Maybe mixed in with an abalone border or something, but it would have to be something smaller and much more tasteful, that example turns my stomach for ugliness.

But again, just my opinions. B)

Facts should not be mistaken for opinions, and opinions not mistaken for facts. If you posted that statement at any Fender-related site, you would be met with a sheer tidal wave of disagreement.

I completely agree with you here. Surely this is a matter of taste and opinion, but if it comes down to facts then the Tele simply sounds the same as a Strat if the Pickups are the same. What should the difference come from? The woods are the same, the construction is the same, the PU placement is the same, the sacle length is the same. Even the materials for the nut and the bridge are the same. The only real difference is that the Strat has the Tremolo which changes the sound, but you can buy Strats with fixed bridges as well.

The pickups are not the same. Aside from the actual PU design being different, the Tele has a plate under the bridge which changes the tone a lot and the cover on the neck also makes a difference. Then you also have differences in number, switching and placement. About the only thing the same is that they are single coils. Strats and Teles sound different.

The pickups are not the same. Aside from the actual PU design being different, the Tele has a plate under the bridge which changes the tone a lot and the cover on the neck also makes a difference. Then you also have differences in number, switching and placement. About the only thing the same is that they are single coils. Strats and Teles sound different

Surely do they sound different. Otherwise Fender could not sell both. My point is that the difference does not come from the different shape or design, but from the selection of PU's and bridge. You can build a Strat that sounds like a Tele and a Tele that sounds like a Strat. The difference does NOT come from the shape and basic design. The Tele sounds usually different because it has different PU's and different wood. The fixed bridge Strats have a plate under the bridge as well. I have to damit that my last post sounds like I want to say that a Fender Tele and Strat sounds the same. I know that they sound different. In light of this discussion it will not make a difference if he goes with the Tele shape instead of the Strat shape thats what I wanted to say. The hardware, PU's and bridge will be the deciding factor.

Jeff, Build 'm both. :D

there ya go...good suggestion

I like the looks of the strat. I really don't care for shark fin inlay because that just looks so 80's to me.

I really like the les paul block inlay on that Strat. And the thought of making it a thin line strat is really sexy. I like hybrid ideas like that.

Ok, so taking into account what has been said...a redesign is in order.

I need something with a good tele sound, and the factory, or even the Tom Anderson Tele's dont do it for me. Also, this is to be a cheap guitar, made with a $40 neck from Brian.