67 Flying V "modified Copy"

:D

It's funny cause I talk about this stuff all the time.

It is a catalytic varnish by Sherwin Williams called "Sherwood water white".It was suggested to me as a substitute for Nitro when I was asking for Nitro in Sherwin Willams...it actually does feel and act exactly like nitro,except while spraying it can be a bit temperamental.I have used it on a few guitars now,and I just wonder if Auto Poly isn't easier to spray(I think it probably is.)

Couple that with a Gladwin paint store 30 minutes away just full of auto poly,and I just wonder why I should not try it.

The upside of the Varnish is that it is very easy to level,sand,and buff.....and it is very tough(again,similar to nitro)..and it never yellows

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wes, that is looking superb - I love your treatment of the heel. That said, the gap in the top would bug me, I'd be very tempted to inlay a line of veneer to match the back, or mask and spray a pinstripe of black lacquer, which will be indistinguishable from an inlay. If you go the latter route you can always spray it after a few coats of clear, and it will be totally reversible if it doesn't work.

PS: The comments about clean work are spot on - this has looked surgical throughout - good stuff!

What grade of phenolic is that? Good enough for fingerboards?

Umm...it's the paper based stuff...X or XX I think...I just use it for truss rod covers,control cavity covers,etc.I got some 3/32" thick and 3/16" thick.

I have thought about using the 3/16" stuff for fingerboards combined with a really stiff neck(this stuff is not stiff),but I just really haven't run out of ebony yet.

So it's complete.Here it is,blemishes and all.If you can't spot the blemishes,I am not going to tell you where they are,but I will say the GFS stuff is nice,for the most part,but the black finish is not glossy,it's flat...which works well with this one,but I don't know if I will use them again because of that.the "crunchy pats"(pickups GFS)sound very sweet and really nice,but I think I should have bought the higher output..

So,yes it's done,but next weekend I am going to trade out the bridge pup for something with a bit more balls,most likely.

311987_284260618281266_100000919897754_857307_563100568_n.jpg

389258_284260858281242_100000919897754_857308_836014404_n.jpg

296902_284260924947902_100000919897754_857309_830934150_n.jpg

384967_284261004947894_100000919897754_857310_1323031401_n.jpg

312632_284261054947889_100000919897754_857311_509249111_n.jpg

I wouldn't hold my breath on the birdseye Lp,the limba explorer,the ash rebuild,the ESP F copy,The tineo singlecut,or the handful of necks blanks I have ready to go.They are all complicated builds that are going to need my full patience and attention,unlike the MS explorer which is just going to be a "natural" finish with no pore filling and only a thin satin coat of clear...

The others are going to have to wait until I re-style my finishing process into something I can get predictable results with. :D

Apparently I only thought I had a finishing process figured out.

There's nothing better than a little set back to push us out of our comfort zone and force us to learn something new and improve our skills.

Other than the line you pointed out and a tiny paint chip on the stop tail, no blemishes are showing up in the pics that I can see anyway.

SR

Other than the line you pointed out and a tiny paint chip on the stop tail, no blemishes are showing up in the pics that I can see anyway.

It was a thousand times worse before I redid the top.now it is just small discolorations and witness lines on the sides.

,but it plays so well and feels so great I don't care.the neck and frets are all 100%.

On the bad side the pickups are no doubt going to need to be swapped.They have awesome chord definition but not nearly enough balls for chunk...

Okay,I ordered a GFS "power rail" for the bridge..super hot ceramic with wide rails.Supposed to retain the PAF warmth but with a fatter bottom end and higher output.I still want to retain the GFS status of this one and to have a fair test I need to try the pups that are meant for metal