An Introduction And A Small Project (pics)

Looks great! Can't wait to see more

The missing posts has happened all over the forum. I think there's a few days worth of posts gone as the forum had to be restored to the last point of backup, so don't take it personally!

Its going to be a cigar box uke, I gave an introduction explaining it but it looks like that post got deleted some how? I dont have too much money so this is just a fun little project to keep me occupied for now. More pics coming soon!

Ah, I see. The problem was that posts were irrecoverable with the board screwing up the database, and possibly unavoidable short of making silly numbers of backups.

A Uke eh? Sweet. I saw the four pegholes and that put Mandolin out of the window!

School started up again yesterday so my progress might roll on a little slower then I would like it to, but for now here is what Ive managed to get done since my last post.

Fretting!

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

Taped up to keep the finished board clean

DSC00059.jpg

Binding channel routed. Had a minor blow out with the ebony veneer but luckily I found the piece and was able to glue it back on. This is one of the most nerve racking parts for me at least.

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

My "R" inlay. I decided to double up the MOP and get two logos for the cutting time of one.

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

safety first

DSC00064.jpg

and after about an hour and a half here are the finished R's

DSC00065.jpg

I hit a speed bump in the build process guys. I got alittle greedy and went too deep routing out the inlay cavity in the ebony veneer and when took a break to check my cut I watched the cutter of my 1/32 stewmac dremmel bit simply fall off... although I was pissed, it was sort of comical the way it happened. Anyways I decided to try a new place for a replacement bit. stewmac cost like 18 per bit plus closer to 9 or 10 bucks for shipping. I found this other site with the same size bit for $13 and only $3 dollars for shipping. I let you know what I think of it and if its worth checking out the site once it arrives. hopefully this can save every one who does do there own inlays some cash because paying almost $30 every time one decides to break gets old quick.

FWIW:

1) When I do my inlays, I'll rough out the larger areas with an 1/8" bit in the small trim router, then finish it up with the Dremel. If it's a really large cavity, like a block inlay, I'll even chisel out the center. All of this will save a LOT of wear & tear on the small, delicate little Dremel bits.

2) I was talking with my dentist about this, and he gave me a small handfull of dental bits that were too dull to work on teeth. He was just going to throw them away, but he now saves them for me. Teeth are a LOT harder than wood, so they're still great for inlay work when they can't do a tooth anymore. The tool he uses has the same 1/8" collet as the Dremel, but STARTS at 30K rpm, where the Dremel tops out at 10K.

thats a good idea, I will talk to my dentist next time I go and hope that he is as cool about it as yours.

In other news im very excited for the build I will be starting after I complete this one. Its going to be a custom take on the tele design for my girlfriend. It will be a semi hollow with three butterfly shaped sound holes, a Quilted maple top, an ocean blue burst, maybe a figured maple fretboard, white binding all around( maybe double bound front and back), chrome hardware, not sure of the pickguard material yet, it might be white or a natural color maple to match the fret board, and I'm thinkin an S/S/H Pup set up using lipstick pups(i love the looks of the lipstick tube humbuckers). I really hope i can make it nearly as nice as the image I have in my head.

Here is a little teaser:

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

Edited by Robbinst

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

The bits worked great and i believe them to be of the same quality as stewmac so if your lookin to save a few bucks check out these guys:

http://www.bitterrootguitars.com/servlet/the-Inlay-Material-cln-Inlay-Bits/Categories

Pics:

finished slot and epoxied inlay

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

I want the rosewood bridge to match the ebony veneer so I stained it black

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

binding being glued up

DSC00081.jpg

before the clean up

DSC00082.jpg

the binding went better then my first attempt but I think the plastic Im using is too thick for such tight curves. Heres the one spot that did not glue up right.

DSC00084.jpg

time to clean it up a bit

DSC00085.jpg

just patchin up the less then perfect glue spots, but you can see the finished inlay

DSC00086.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So close to being done!!

Glued the neck to the body ( I did reinforce the joint but my camera died before I could get the pic)

DSC00117.jpg

Bridge being glued into place

DSC00125.jpg

All I have left is to put a few coats of clear on the body, then shape the nut and the saddle. I'm really excited to get this one strung up and hear how it sounds. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Very sorry for the delay everyone, I got busy with other projects that I was excited about and left this one sit for a while but now I finally managed to finish it!

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

This things really neat, its about 3/4th as loud as my store bought uke and has a much brighter tone. It is lacking in the low end but I did not expect any kind of fully rounded amazing sound from a cigar box any way. For what it is I am very happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for looking guys! :D

-Tyler