Tap, Tap, Tap Part Ii

The first half got lost in the 'hiccup' so it made no sense anymore really....

so here in all its unglory is : The Chisel part 2.....

I made an odd-shaped guitar last year http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=44857&view=findpost&p=486327 and had some cut-offs from it.

I also had two strips of maple from a neck trim-up and a neck-thru mahogany neck-blank thanks to a failed experiment.

So - out of the ashes of other builds, I started a build for pure fun.

specs are :

Single-cut design with a twist.

Pa-doook wings/maple accents/mahogany neck-thru.

Carved top

Undecided fretboard but either maple or ebony

24 frets

1 pickup

brought to life with a chisel.

Yep. a chisel.

:D

From the beginning..... I glued up the neck / strips and wings before doing any shaping. So I basicly had a guitar shaped chunk of wood.

After shaping up the body some and thinning down the neck here's what I had.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

a list of chores I've knocked out without power tools includes:

neck shape, and thickness.

Body shape, including treble horn.

Body carve

Truss rod rout

Pickup rout

TR access hole

Neck angle

Obviously,it's still rough and sanding/scraping will be what makes it pretty, but I like what's coming out so far.

IMG_0994.jpg

Moar pics below

Mike, if you are very patient with your clean up work on this, you have a shot at making this one of your most balanced, visually successful designs yet. Artistically, you've got a nicely flowing body shape going. You need to work on the treble side bevel, elongate it down towards the lower point and it will complement the beveled curve on the bass side better.

This is getting interesting. Keep it up.

SR

Scott, I'd like to take a moment out of my posts to send a public "Thank you" . You have given me several GREAT ideas over time and they always seem to improve my builds. Your idea for the TR rout was utilized ( from the lost thread ) - except for the "guides" . I penciled the lines I needed and used a razor knife to score the edges, then chiseled the rout out slowly. Worked great- thanks !!

I took a pencil and drew out the curve you mentioned above.... looks stellar. I will be bringing it around toward the point now. As far as 'designs' I can claim no credit. This is a "dual oval" design with a single cut - normally called a Les Paul, but the hook at the bottom and the swoopy butt came from the shape of my offcuts. :D

Figures.... potential to be my best and it was all an accident. :D

Scott, I'd like to take a moment out of my posts to send a public "Thank you" . You have given me several GREAT ideas over time and they always seem to improve my builds. Your idea for the TR rout was utilized ( from the lost thread ) - except for the "guides" . I penciled the lines I needed and used a razor knife to score the edges, then chiseled the rout out slowly. Worked great- thanks !!

I took a pencil and drew out the curve you mentioned above.... looks stellar. I will be bringing it around toward the point now. As far as 'designs' I can claim no credit. This is a "dual oval" design with a single cut - normally called a Les Paul, but the hook at the bottom and the swoopy butt came from the shape of my offcuts. :D

Figures.... potential to be my best and it was all an accident. B)

:D

SR

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks Dean. 'preciate the encouragement.

here's some pics.....

7f8894f4.jpg

^^ It's coming along. :) Still got some cleanin' up to do.

99044cfc.jpg

My forstner bit was a hair too big for the bigger dots ,so i used black epoxy to place them.

I also knocked a big chunk of padauk out of the headstock ear and had to slice them off and replace it with maple . :/

101b8cb3.jpg

710856fb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks, Maull.

Well, it's done. I just got it strung up tonight for the first time. It's a good player, but it'll need a bit of time to settle and get its proper setup.

It does suffer a bit of neck dive as well, but nothing too bad.

My camera flash aint having it, so I'll get some pics tomorrow.

and that's all you'll see from me for a while. We bought a house up the mountain from where we are now and we'll be moving come March. In the meantime, the few projects I have left are shelved until i get to set up my new workshop. [ happy dance] which, in turn ,will allow me to completely overhaul my building approach and give me a spray booth and a drying room. [continues happy dance]

So I will be taking what I've learned and incorporating it into a better structured build style.

I can resume building furniture too, which I used to do on the regular.

I'll post pics of the place once I'm in and spread out.

• 3 weeks later...

It blows my mind you did this without power tools. Great job man. How many hours you got on that puppy?

Thank you much, sir. I did use an electric drill for the holes i needed . :) I didn't keep track of my hours, but it took a year from start to finish, with life getting in the way where it does.

Muzz. i redid the logo with some gold, I'll post up a pic. The tuners are 'vintage correct' - you'll have that. XD