HotRod

daveq

For those of you who have built necks with the hotrod truss rod before:

What is the thinnest you have made?

Stewmac suggests a min of 1/8 under the rod so that should make the thinnest neck 20.6375 mm or 13/16 in. , right?

Has anyone tried going thinner? If so, what wood did you use?

i would guess that if you had a 3 peice neck with ebony in the center you might be able to go down to 20mm.. but i would only do that on an experimental non-sale neck.... i only go 21mm on hot rod necks... anything thinner i use the other kind of truss rod's that are a bit shorter(height)

So nobody has tried it?

that is freakin thin and in my opinion

What is thin - the 1/8 or the 20.6 mm neck? I grew up on an Ibanez wizard neck and thought I would hate playing thicker necks. The first guitar I built had a hotrod in it and of course a thicker neck. I was very surprised to learn that I actually enjoyed the thicker neck more. It just feels like I have more power / sustain (even if it's not real).

The reason I was asking is I know that there are those who still prefer the thin necks. I don't mind installing the traditional rods but I would prefer the hotrod style (double expanding) for most. They are quick and easy to install and really provide a lot of insurace against trouble down the road. That's why I was wondering if the 1/8 is an absolute or is a paranoid manufacturers recommendation so as not to end up with many law suits due to incorrect instruction.

If no one has tried it yet - I guess I'll give it a try on my next personal guitar. Thanks.

Dave

I don't mind installing the traditional rods but I would prefer the hotrod style (double expanding) for most. They are quick and easy to install and really provide a lot of insurace against trouble down the road.

you do know about the other kind of rods that are double expanding but a little bit thinner right?

here's the 2 types of double action rods, (felt like testing out my new digital camera)

as you can see the blue model is quite a bit shorter (9mm) then the Stewmac hot rod (red, 11mm), so that means you can safely make the neck 2mm thinner without worries, well some at least :D

trussrods.jpg

they sell for (although i got it one on a favor) 18$, i'm trying to find other places that sell them for a bit less, a luthier around here uses them and i think he got them from allparts, but i'll have to ask him. I might have a place i can get them from for cheap, i'll pass along the info or resell them to you guys if i can get them.

someone else must have seen those before?!?!

The blue one seems just as strong (bending it with my hand) as the hot rod, when in doubt just add carbon :D

Yup, thanks Derek. I think the ones I have seen don't have that blue sleeve though - but I was aware of the thinner types. Thanks though.

The one thing that I did not know was that they were that much thinner than the hot rod. Any drawbacks to using the smaller ones?

As for the neck thickness and playability (is that a word?) issue - for me a thicker neck seems to actually force me to play "correctly". With the thinner neck, my thumb is always wrapping around the neck. With the thicker neck, I find that my thumb rides the back of the neck resulting in a more fluid motion. I like it. It's the people that want the super wizard necks that I am concerned with. So far, I have only sold to people that I know. Someday I may end up building for someone who wants a super thin neck and I want to know what my options are. Since I only build about 3 to 4 a year (at this rate), it's not really a big deal.

Thanks for the replies - I hope to post pics of my latest soon. It's so damn hard to find time to build that I rarely think to take the camera down there.

Thanks,

Dave