Project S907_express

I see why you said "almost". Muzz told me it's not doen till you put the cavity cover on it.

Nice pice of ash. You are developing a habit of taking "boards" and making them look killer.

Dirt huh?

SR

Cover isn't finished of course... it is laying in the shop with dust on it.

I amazed myself (I do that a lot... get lucky that is) with this fret job and it doesn't need leveling. However I am going to do just a hair then polish the crap out of them to make it super fast.

As for the Ash. It is northern ash... quite hard, quite quacky bright. The pickup is the answer to smoothing out the tone. On lawless (S9 Express #1) I spent some time swapping pups in it. In the mean time I was working on my "Whiskey" pickup.

The "Whiskey" is a classic overwound PAF with a glorious A2 magnet in it. All the boutique guys have something like this in their line ups... I modeled it after the PAF EVH used on the first few albums (women and children first is my favorite). I called it the "Whiskey" because it is where all the bands played in Hollywood back in the day.

While I was working on the Whiskey I wound a few early prototypes and got crazy with the magnets and polepieces. So the Dirt series is going to come with 2 pole piece choices and 2 magnet choices. This one is a Ceramic 8 with large Allen poles... it sounds like vintage metal. Frigging awesome.

As for the wood... not bad for a cutting block. Now that the pickups are sorted I can try these again.

It was definitely not going to make it into Lightning Boy. No big show or pennant races for him. Heck he might not have even made a decent cutting board.

Now hopefully someone will give it a good home and play metal on it forever \m/

Worst case it gets to hang out with my other guitars for a while (pretty sure it will be in the mail before then).

I specifically matched those pieces as best I could to get all the ugliness possible into one body blank. The voids ran pretty deep but I filled them all with west systems.

I will get some better pics when it is done done.

I have another one to assemble tonight... (7 more I think)

S907 Express #1 on the bench...

You would be amazed how loud it is setting string ferrules at Midnight in the house when everyone is asleep. Needless to say I will drive them flush today when every one is awake. I am not sure I like the pickups I built for this one so they may be swapped for a set of Destroyers. I still have a lot of tweaking to do on this one but at least it is almost there.

IMG_20120912_082212.jpg

IMG_20120912_082219.jpg

IMG_20120912_082158.jpg

IMG_20120912_082244.jpg

S906 Standard... Drifter Assembled. Still needs a light fret dress but it needs to sit under string tension for a day or two and get rid of the new neck backbow. The 9 degree low head angle experiment worked for the most part.I used Hipshot staggered tuners on it and they work great for this. Right now it needs one wrap on the low E string to keep down pressure on the nut... we will see as it settles.

IMG_20120913_081827.jpg

IMG_20120913_081837.jpg

IMG_20120913_081945.jpg

IMG_20120913_081907.jpg

it needs to sit under string tension for a day or two and get rid of the new neck backbow.

Finally,somebody admits this happens...I am so tired of everyone saying "if a neck has backbow you did something wrong"

At least half of mine need a few days under string tension to sit right

This mainly applies to really hard fretboards (bocote, ebony, bloodwood)

I was originally taught to level the fretboard then add some relief on the bass side to allow for the string to vibrate freely. With the old single action trussrods if you had too much backbow you could not fix it with the trussrod. Modern double action trussrods eliminate this issue. So when you were fretting a neck with a really hard fretboard you put some relief in before fretting.

Later I decided this was a silly idea.

I build shredders... necks need to be dead straight. Almost no relief bass side and no relief at all treble side. It is better to make a fretboard dead flat, fret it, and deal with the backbow using various methods than it is to try and calculate the proper amount of relief to add for a given piece of wood.

In the old days I would have 10 ebony boards and they would all the same density. I could tell you the exact relief based on the tang size and type of wood...

Today I can't get 2 boards the same density from the same chunk of wood... it is what it is. I use so many strange exotics and inconsistent standard boards it makes no sense to try and use the old methods anymore.

If you do it right the tangs that cause the issue will eventually seat into the wood with tension from the strings. This makes for a much better seated fret IMHO. I don't even try to glue them anymore.

You're artificially aging yourself, RAD! You need to stop talking like an old timer.

"I remember when all these guitars were all trees as far as the eye could see...."

I took to fretting necks before shaping because the flat surface was an obvious benefit plus the added stiffness helped the tangs bite in rather than separate the slots. Years ago (no, not that long ago) I had a real disaster with a Tele neck that I fretted after shaping that the rod and string tension had no chance in hell of solving. It's good to hear that you've developed a real feel for the wood. That's a really hard earned and in no small way important bit of experience.

You're artificially aging yourself, RAD! You need to stop talking like an old timer.

"I remember when all these guitars were all trees as far as the eye could see...."

I took to fretting necks before shaping because the flat surface was an obvious benefit plus the added stiffness helped the tangs bite in rather than separate the slots. Years ago (no, not that long ago) I had a real disaster with a Tele neck that I fretted after shaping that the rod and string tension had no chance in hell of solving. It's good to hear that you've developed a real feel for the wood. That's a really hard earned and in no small way important bit of experience.

I don't mean to seem like an old timer but I started early in life (I was 13 when I started building). So even though I am 40 I feel like I have been at it forever...

I also fret them before shaping them. This is because it is much easier to make the fretboard perfectly flat while the neck is square. I am able to fully support the back of the neck during the process this stops the little bow that happens when you press too hard with the leveler.

The results this year have been astounding. I could literally get away without leveling my frets this year. I still will because it is the right thing to do but I was amazed at the consistent results I got this year.

• Like 1