Time To Get Back To Legit Builds!

Hey everyone, I'm sure some of you are used to my Cigar box guitar build threads by now, but now I'm going back to full size guitars. Hope I can handle it :D

This build is one of my custom designs and will have a swamp ash body and set maple neck. The scale will be 25.75 with 22 frets and a 12" fret board radius. My original plan was to do an all white guitar with a natural flamed maple (bound in white) fret board, white GFS (keepin costs down) power rails, and chrome hardware for a classy look. After I finish typing this I'm gonna go mess with some color dyes on some scrap ash and see if I like any of those instead(ill post them samples later tonight to get your opinions as well). Well... I guess that's it for now, here a few starter pics for ya.

Template

DSC00122.jpg

Wood...

DSC00116.jpg

Thicknessing the body down about 1/4 inch

DSC00120.jpg

Body rough cut with no sanding yet

DSC00121.jpg

More to come soon!

-Tyler

I messed with the dyes tonight but nothing worth showing came out of it. I was going for a look similar to this:

distressedpinefinish.png

Except using either red or blue but the color didn't hold in the grain after sanding back the way I had hoped, so this builds gonna be a nice clean white.

I did manage to get a few templates made tonight though so I guess I'll show those since its all I got

Electronics cavity template

DSC00126.jpg

Humbucker template

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

and fitting the Power Rails

DSC00129.jpg

Ponticat- yes its made from spare drawer slides that I came across in my grandpas shop. It is more trouble then its worth because I didn't take into account the saw dust clogging the bearings. Here's the thread showing how I made it if your interested

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=46234

Maybe you can think of a way to improve upon the design.

mattharris75- My pups, binding and knobs all have white in them so that's why I'm going to stick with the clean white and chrome look that I originally had in my head for this build. The look of that guitar is really nice, I would definitely be interested in trying that on a future build. I was also shown a torched finish today. A guy used a blow torch to burn the softer grain and cause it to stand out, followed by a light brown stain. If your interested I'll send you the link to his build

Ponticat- yes its made from spare drawer slides that I came across in my grandpas shop. It is more trouble then its worth because I didn't take into account the saw dust clogging the bearings. Here's the thread showing how I made it if your interested

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=46234

Maybe you can think of a way to improve upon the design.

Thanks for posting the link. The first improvement that I thought of was adapting a shop vac attachment as a chip collector, but you've already considered the same. Would running the router with the grain, rather than across the grain, be worth a try?

Ponticat- I think the vacuum would help a lot. I'm not sure how direction of the cut would work, dust seems to fly everywhere(including in my eye even when I have goggles :D ). I'll have to mess with it more once I get a little less busy.

bob123- Blue you say...? I did not even consider color but if done right it come look awesome! Were you thinking a light blue, dark blue, or a fade from light to dark? I may use this, any one else have any thoughts?

Here's some progress:

scarf joint jig

DSC00146.jpg

gluing the joint

DSC00149.jpg

fret board marked and cut

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

truss channel and hotrod

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

I messed with the dyes tonight but nothing worth showing came out of it. I was going for a look similar to this:

distressedpinefinish.png

Except using either red or blue but the color didn't hold in the grain after sanding back the way I had hoped, so this builds gonna be a nice clean white.

As far as I know you can color the wood the base color then spray on a sealer and use colored grain filler putty to get that kind of look in ash.

I got the cavity cover done tonight!

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

Staying away from screws for a nice clean look

DSC00178.jpg

Magnets! 1/16" x 1/8"

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

For some one who would be traveling a lot or playing gigs I would use stronger magnets but for the average at home player this if more then enough. Unless your literally throwing the guitar around the cover wont come off.

• 3 weeks later...

All right Rob! Great build so far bud, here's a finish I like to uses on ash might work for you or maybe not your cup of tea. Use a dark stain to get into the grain sand it down and hit it with your finish colour and then lacquer or oil no filler and no shellac.

DSC00691.jpg

Marty...

• 2 weeks later...

I got a decent amount done today!

Tuner holes drilled and my "R" cut

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

Carving the neck

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

Tone/vol/ switch/ jack holes drilled

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

Heres a tip for any newer builders: My template for the neck pocket was not as snug as I wanted it so rather then making a new one, a strip of tape on each side gave me just enough extra material for an ideal fit.

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

I really hope that doesn't break out on you... That would really suck.

Great work so far other than that, very neat and precise.

That "R" inlay channel looks very tidy, curious how you cut that as inlay is an area I want to improve in my own builds.

Demonx- I routed the "R" using a dremmel and the stewmac precision base which turns your dremmel into a mini router. I used a 1/16th bit to clear the bulkier parts and came in with a 1/32nd bit for smaller areas and tighter lines. Last I shaped the points and sharper corners with an exacto knife, be careful because its easy to slip and cut something you dont want to, whether it be the wood or your hand. As long as you can follow a line you can inlay, just take your time and start simple.

-Tyler

Demonx- I routed the "R" using a dremmel and the stewmac precision base which turns your dremmel into a mini router. I used a 1/16th bit to clear the bulkier parts and came in with a 1/32nd bit for smaller areas and tighter lines. Last I shaped the points and sharper corners with an exacto knife, be careful because its easy to slip and cut something you dont want to, whether it be the wood or your hand. As long as you can follow a line you can inlay, just take your time and start simple.

-Tyler

That's ok, I was just curious what process you used as it looks nice and tidy. I have all the stew Mac base and bits, I use them sometimes and sometimes do it completely by hand. It depends on the job I'm doing at the time

Cheers