Project S9 Continued...

How to fix tearout on a flamed fretboard without using CA and dust. Get a chisel. Chip a piece of flamed wood from a block. Spend an hour trying to line it up as best you can. Glue the piece in place with thick CA. Cut thin strands from the block and stuff them in any voids and refill with CA.

P5230410.jpg

P5230411.jpg

P5230412.jpg

P5230413.jpg

Note to self. Check the depth of the fretslots before final polish on the fretboard. After this I have to sand the whole thing again... on the next three necks I do this as soon as the radius is done. Use the big belt sander to rough the radius in then use the radius beam to finish it. Next I move to the Stew Mac sanding bar following the string path to level the board. Last I use 220, 320, 400 attached to long sanding blocks and finish up with polish pad to make it shine.

P5300459.jpg

P5300460.jpg

P5300461.jpg

P5300462.jpg

P5300463.jpg

P5300464.jpg

P5300466.jpg

P5300467.jpg

Hey Brett,

A couple questions...What angle are you using on your HS? Are you doing 2D milling on the CNC, then carving by hand? Do you need a 3D neck file? Lemme know....

Headstocks are at 14 degrees (or 12... I think I moved back to 14... yes 14)

All the CNC work is just 2.5 milling. On the big custom models I plan to always do the carving by hand... however on the Express models I want to start using the CNC to at least rough in the carves on the bodies and the necks. I just haven't had time to really start working on 3d modeling or expensive CAM software. Money is part of the issue... I am not splurging for new CAM and Controller software so I am using AutoCAD, CamBam and LinuxCNC (EMC2). You know being an old school linux guy this kinda makes me feel at home. I also am not familiar enough with my machine to change the controller software yet.

I will gladly take any help you can give. Feel free to email me whatever... I know when we have spoken you have been very generous with your hard earned knowledge and I appreciate that. You and Mikro have helped a ton.

I still carve all my tops by hand...Just too much fun to give up. :P On my necks, I do a full 3D with a voloute & all on the CNC, but I always do a final "finish" shaping to give it that hand carved feel.

I use Rhino for all my modeling. It's very powerful. I have a 3D neck model that I use on 90% of my builds. It has a 13 degree HS with a voloute. I'd be willing to alter it to fit your specs...maybe trade for some top wood or something :D . I'd need to get specs & DXF's. PM me if you want to try it.

I still carve all my tops by hand...Just too much fun to give up. :P On my necks, I do a full 3D with a voloute & all on the CNC, but I always do a final "finish" shaping to give it that hand carved feel.

I use Rhino for all my modeling. It's very powerful. I have a 3D neck model that I use on 90% of my builds. It has a 13 degree HS with a voloute. I'd be willing to alter it to fit your specs...maybe trade for some top wood or something :D . I'd need to get specs & DXF's. PM me if you want to try it.

PM sent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...