Project S9 Continued...

I have spent 2 weekends gluing up body blanks and neck blanks so it has been less than exciting at the shop.

I did get the cocobolo S907 sanded up and ready for finishing.

The Multiscale 7 is still being tested with a dry fit for parts and pickups.

• Like 1

I have spent 2 weekends gluing up body blanks and neck blanks so it has been less than exciting at the shop.

I feel your pain man. iv been making body blanks all week, its just face - glue - clamp - face - glue - clamp - face - glue - clamp - scream - headbutt wall - start over again.

last week was no better. Just making up back & side sets for acoustics over & over. But still, its worth it when you get to the fun parts, like shaping necks :D

Playing with that new saw has certainly yielded some sick tops.

SR

I tell you the new saw is so awesome that you just want to cut up all the wood in the shop... it is crazy addictive.

I used the old bandsaw to cut some scarf joints and almost passed out trying to push the maple through. I have no idea how I survived without the new saw. It has given me back hours of my life (spent on the old bandsaw and sander after cutting). I think I am actually getting more done.

I feel your pain man. iv been making body blanks all week, its just face - glue - clamp - face - glue - clamp - face - glue - clamp - scream - headbutt wall - start over again.

last week was no better. Just making up back & side sets for acoustics over & over. But still, its worth it when you get to the fun parts, like shaping necks :D

I feel the pain... It was great to find the neck blank on the shelf that was already prepped and ready to go! It was like Christmas.

You guys have gotten caught in the vicious circle. You make killer guitars and establish a reputation, which brings in enough orders to have a busy year, which generates enough cash to upgrade the tools which allows you to make even more in a year which you have to because you've created more demand and before you know it, it's become a job. Hell for Paulie it truly is. Well done guys. :)

I bet you probably hate a guy like me that builds one because it's fun and takes his time and stretches it out so he can enjoy it longer. <_<

SR

You guys have gotten caught in the vicious circle. You make killer guitars and establish a reputation, which brings in enough orders to have a busy year, which generates enough cash to upgrade the tools which allows you to make even more in a year which you have to because you've created more demand and before you know it, it's become a job. Hell for Paulie it truly is. Well done guys. :)

I bet you probably hate a guy like me that builds one because it's fun and takes his time and stretches it out so he can enjoy it longer. <_<

SR

There is that... but left to my own devices I would build just as many guitars with crappy tools.

I have run out of space to keep all the guitars so I have to sell them these days. There is no way to keep them all. So I try to keep my favorites and cycle what I can.

I always end up getting behind and having to enlist help to finish. My friend does most of my finish sanding and oil finishes for me now. I teach him what I can so I can offload the stuff I don't like to do. Last year he cut frets for me while I pressed them in. This year I am teaching him how to make neck blanks... he is not ready yet.

Right now I am swamped in custom pickups and my winder is down...

Ah no. its not that bad Scotty, I get to make some seriously funky stuff sometimes.

This order was filled wit mostly bog standard stuff. 16 super strats & 8 acoustics.

BUT !!!

One customer wants an archtop, no other spec to it. Just " build me an archtop that you would be happy to play"

The other guy handed me 2 scaffold boards. 9X4 inchers 8 foot long long, mangeled to crap with concrete, nails, tar, paint & all sorts. He wants 2 dirty lookin teles I do called King Mojo's.

So it suks the fun out sometimes doin them by the dozen like a machine. But then you get the odd cool build that makes it worth the easy stuff.

Ignore the email I sent you earlier today asking about those pickups, I didn't see this post. Let me know when you think you will have it up and running again I'm slowing down the build process on that 8 string until I get those pickups. Downside is all three current builds need to be done within 4 weeks. :help

Ignore the email I sent you earlier today asking about those pickups, I didn't see this post. Let me know when you think you will have it up and running again I'm slowing down the build process on that 8 string until I get those pickups. Downside is all three current builds need to be done within 4 weeks. :help

Don't worry those pickups are already wound. I just need to test them before final assembly and wax. Should get done tonight/tomorrow night depending on time.

Now the other 4 sets I am working on... that is a different story. ;)

The winder is down for upgrades. It was acting up the other month so I bought a new motor for it. Of course that means the pulley didn't fit and the mounting holes were off. I have to make a pulley for it.

The motor in a Schatten winder is shat. It is not reversible, only runs about 700 rpm, and is generally very weak. I got a Johnson DC motor that is much bigger and reversible (I am adding a reverse switch). I am hopeful the stock speed control will be able to handle the new motor. It is not too much faster but it is much stronger so I can change the pulley sizes to up the speed if needed (once I get a lathe to make the pulleys with).

All this pickup building talk... when I'm happy with the actual guitar builds I do, then I'll worry about trying to make pickups, until then I'll just dream about it!

I would say you are already there. We see your work and it is excellent quality.

I feel I am going to have a Prostheta moment!

<rant>

If I am ever truly happy with a guitar I built I will stop there, quit building all the time and go enjoy life. We should all build like Scott does for fun... I just always manage to suck the fun out of it by being too serious.

Pickup building is silly. You can't really do it for fun. It is expensive to tool up, time consuming, a pain in the arse to source parts for, and the knowledge is HARD LEARNED as no one talks about building pickups. I am about 4 years into "serious" pickup building and I can tell you that building pickups from scratch is more time consuming and frustrating than building a guitar.

There are plenty of good companies to order pickups from ;)

Now for custom multiscale guitars... good luck with that.

The real reason I started making pickups is to keep as much of my builds in house as I can. Next year (with some luck) I am going to start on hardware. Then I will truly be free of vendors and distributors and other peoples silly ideas on what a bridge and tuner should be.

This all ties into the reason I started building guitars. Major manufacturers suck at it.

</rant>

Wow... I think I am ok now. I think I will drink a few tonight!

• Like 2