Radial Purfling

So, this build sat around since like 2009 simply because I did NOT want to bind this shape in bloodwood despite the fact I've always dreamed of doing a claro/bloodwood/light spruce combo guitar. Well, I've been in a binding zen mode ever since a friend introduced me to fish glue so I figured now's as confident a time as any to tackle the job. It also got zebrawood radial (hence the post name).

For those that aren't familiar, radial purfling is the act of cutting 1/16" long pieces off the end of a thin board (long cause it's short grain!) and snapping it into a channel just like shell purfling. The cool part is though, if you use a really stripy wood like zebrawood or cocobolo you get the effect that the grain lines are always perpendicular to the body all the way around. It's a pretty cool technique that the same friend showed me (Greenridge Guitars).

What do you guys think?

285dd99a.jpg

187171f4.jpg

More info on this guitar:

backattached.jpg

I should have time to film the last little section I need and edit the footage this weekend. If you're curious, check youtube for "Radial Purfling" some time late next weekend or early next week.

Chris

Nice, dude! Seeing this I think I've finally found a purpose for the nice bits of zebrano I've got, since I'm not all that interested in turning them into guitar tops or acoustic back/side sets (faux zebrano veneer is getting a little ubiquitous in cheap restaurants here, kind of a 70's throwback chique, so not working for me visually). Will need to get at least a micro table saw or zero clearance insert for the bandsaw, huh? Where's the tutorial? :D