Custom Walnut Bass

Thanks!

The first coat on the neck went great, I sanded with 800 and sprayed second one today, and that will probably be it. Looks and feels nice.

Also, I made my own oil finish, equal parts mineral thinner, oil based varnish, and boiled lineseed oil for painting. Looks dark, but has almost no color when aplied. I've tested it on some maple, mostly to see how much yellow it adds to the wood. It's drying now in the shop, can't wait to check on it tommorrow. The pic doesn't show it properly, but I've basically flooded the maple, to see what is the drying time, absorption etc...I will then test the mix on actual walnut.

3img20121104163423.jpg

2img20121104163919.jpg

1img20121104164042.jpg

The mix adds some yellow to the maple, but not too much, I like it. I even skipped the "test on walnut" part. I've added a tiny amount of both varnish and lineseed oil to the mix prior to second coat, about 0.2 varnish and 0.5 oil. After aplying about 3 coats every 15 mins, I've rubbed off the excess oil, and left it to dry. I plan to keep applying just one coat a day for the next few days, with some 800 sanding every day.

The sprayed part is OK, and will not need any more coats, just some touchups. I'll gently rub it down with 800 tommorrow to speed up the hardening, and leave it be for a few days.

Now I have to mix the beeswax paste. Also, managed to finish the pickup template and make some shims to route it following the neck angle, but the phone ate that pic...

I need an opinion - to oil or to lacquer the bridge? I would prefer to lacquer to make it stand out on the body, and for some added grime protection.

img20121105143339.jpg

img20121105143355.jpg

img20121105143755.jpg

img20121105143803.jpg

img20121106075828.jpg

Routed out the angled pup cavity, went really nice, and skipped the yesterday's oil coat, it's got a nice sheen already, but it's not ready for sanding or buffing, so it will just sit a while to see where I'm at. I plan to finish the electronics cavity, and then start sanding the body, probably.

Couldn't resist a new mockup! The headstock shows the future color of the body.

img20121108150518.jpg

img20121108150715.jpg

It shows? <_<

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll do what I can with scrapers first, and then start sanding when I absolutely have to...The plan is to apply oil ASAP , probably during weekend, so it dries while I do all the detail work on frets, saddles, bridge etc...It doesn't look like much work, but I'll probably spend more time doing it than I can afford. Also, I'll have another one to finish just after this one, same materials mostly, just different shape, so more sanding ahead :rolleyes:

I made one ferrule today, took me about 20mins total, drilling, turning, polishing. Since I made a jig for it now, others should take less time.

Haha - that's crazy! None of that should have worked as well as it did! That swarf looks nice and stringy so obviously your setup was right on the money if you could peel it off like that. I think that if you GOTM this one, people really should know the backstory and the crazy work that went into it. You have my respect for making this instrument from the bare basics and embodying a proper project guitar.

Plus you don't tidy up between photos which irks me a lot....clean workshops indicate a lack of work; either too much time wasted tidying up or too little time generating dust and crap! :-D

:D thanks!!!!! Well, I spent about 20 mins on trials making just the first one, so when it came to the whole batch I knew what to expect. I did burn myself a few times, because alu gets hot fast, I mean HOT. Also, I had to make 2 wooden thingies to hold them in place, only the second one works, and not too good. I should buy one of those machinist clamp things that secure stuff under the drill, and definitely make a primitive xy table out of some particle board. I plan to make more of wood/alu bridges of different designs, so it should come in handy.

Regarding the ummm...state of the shop, I do my best to clean up..sometimes...but I'm a hamster, I pile up stuff, and when I work, I see only the workpiece <_< I did make a tool stand recently and it did make it better.

Had another 10 min session today, just drilled for ferrules and shaped the heel a bit, probably a bit more tommorrow. The plan for doing the first coat of oil went down the drain, as I had a lot of house stuff to attend to, but I'm still hoping to have it at least drying for assembly in 15 days.

BTW, what are your experiences regarding the oil drying time - I got it to shine nicely, but still feels sticky...what to expect? Any tricks?

1img20121114141641.jpg

2img20121114141832.jpg

3img20121114142717.jpg

Fitted the jack plate (2 x 20mm alu strip), copper plate for grounding the strings, misc stuff, and sanded, sanded, sanded...sanded.

I decided to actually spray the back, and will oil the front. One coat on, we'll see how many to go. I had some stray scratch lines pop up in one place, so I'll have to take care of that, too.

1img20121118122739.jpg

2img20121118124339.jpg

3img20121118124752.jpg

4img20121118125624.jpg

5img20121118154804.jpg

6img20121118160212.jpg

9img20121118160243.jpg