The Rad-O-Caster

It's been a coons age since I finished anything, but one got done today.

This was a simple strat build but I talked to Brett at guitar logistics - Aka Rad from this forum - and he recommended his latest high-output pup for this build to get the tone I was hoping to acheive.

After talking to him, I decided to utilize his "minimalist" approach on this build. I went with a single pup, single volume pot and not much else. I managed to use the output jack cavity to fit the volume pot in thus negating the need for a cavity cover. :P

Since it was inspired by him and sports one of his pups, I dubbed this one the Rad-o-caster .

Here are the specs:

Maple back with a one-peice spalted Elm top

Maple neck with a wheel truss nut

Rosewood FB

24 medium frets

25.5" scale length

Hard-tail Floyd Rose style bridge for fine tuning abilities.

Guitar Logistics humbucker

500k volume pot

two neck screws.

low gloss clear on the front , gloss finish on the back.

Hand polished and buffed.

As usual for me, no templates were used in the making of this guitar.

On with the pics:

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

I can't believe you screwed down the top part of a Floyd to use as a hard-tail. Sorry buddy, but that's just ghetto. <_<

I got a pass, it's cool.

JK, but this is only like the 8th time I've done this. Sorry you just noticed. <_<

I like the simplicity of the install myself.

As for two screws, its showing no signs of weakness ,it'sjust a bit ugly. I'll probably add a third just for aesthetics. It was more of a test to see if two would do. I thought about only one, but felt a little nervous.

Ghetto works for this one... nice work considering there were no templates used.

I like the idea of bolting a Floyd right to the wood. Having all that metal in direct contact with the wood... and then the strings are locked, no huge routed hole, no noisy springs, I would say there is some Tone Voodoo to be achieved there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice words. I am happy with it, but made my share of boo-boo's during the build.

Rad- real glad you like it. The neck isn't all multi-lam'd out, but I like the tone of a flatsawn maple neck. I blame my early guitars.

John, i found this.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-mtm << that dude liked my idea so much he stole it and Ibanez let him.

I'll do up a video clip of the rad-o at work. Its a very bassy guitar. Detuned a bit anyway but it does have a J-lo like bottom end. Very large and round but somehow quite fitting and pleasant, with enough going on up top that it's not too lop-sided.. <_<

Overall, it's not a bad idea at all. Like RAD said, it's a big flat metal plate with a LOT of contact surface for vibration transfer. Add the familiar look and fine tuners and Floyd Rose should have a real winner.

Yeah so if you ordered some replacement floyd saddles and build a new brass baseplate you could have one badd arse (sorry leo quan) fine tuning bridge.

Anyone who uses this idea must build 2 and send me one. Now where is that beater floyd I have <starts digging in parts boxes>

Cheers!

hahaha no way its a model now? or been? crazy rad. I wonder now, with what restoration said, does this help sustain and such? It must do something if ibanez made a model with it :-P

So the post mounted floyd in my mind is no better than a TOM or a wrap tailpiece. I forgot about adjusting the individual string heights. One problem with Floyd Rose trems is they are fixed radius... I think stock they are 14" then you have to buy shims and different height saddles to get them right.

Thanks for the nice words. I am happy with it, but made my share of boo-boo's during the build.

Rad- real glad you like it. The neck isn't all multi-lam'd out, but I like the tone of a flatsawn maple neck. I blame my early guitars.

I am with you I have a flatsawn maple neck you would have to pry from my cold dead hands...

I multi-lam to make best use of the riftsawn wood stock I get these days. When I get good quartersawn or flatsawn boards I make solid necks out of them. Wait till you see my winter projects...

I'd undo anything that Mick Thompson copied... I'm sure if you ask him, he came up with this idea while he was still in the womb and patented it before age two. Geesh, that guy is a plague on custom built guitars in general.

John, i found this.

http://www.ibanez.co...tars/Series-mtm << that dude liked my idea so much he stole it and Ibanez let him.

I'll do up a video clip of the rad-o at work. Its a very bassy guitar. Detuned a bit anyway but it does have a J-lo like bottom end. Very large and round but somehow quite fitting and pleasant, with enough going on up top that it's not too lop-sided.. <_<

Edited by zyonsdream

So the Ibanez model is pre- lawsuit? :P

Floyds are great, so is the Ibanez edge trem, but snipping the ends off the strings and pinching them with those tiny blocks in the trem is fiddly $#1! , I love the way they keep the guitar in tune for a whole set, they sound pretty spectacular when a string breaks too :blink:

Howdy Muzz ! I don't snip the ends, I thread them in from the tuner posts down to the bridge. [insert evil villian laugh here ]

As far as contact surface, there's really no more than your average hard-tail. The fine tuners being the only advantage . As for string height- that took some careful planning ! My version is literally a FR with the block removed, not like Mr. 'Knots version, where you can adjust the height.

I'd undo anything that Mick Thompson copied... I'm sure if you ask him, he came up with this idea while he was still in the womb and patented it before age two. Geesh, that guy is a plague on custom built guitars in general.

John, i found this.

http://www.ibanez.co...tars/Series-mtm << that dude liked my idea so much he stole it and Ibanez let him.

Satch was the first to do this... over a decade ago lol.

Nice one Mike! (I'm still getting caught up). I do wish you'd use a template when you're going with direct mounted pups, but otherwise this is very sweet looking indeed. And....stellar photography. Have I been blind or have your shots always been this good?

SR