5-String Carl Thompson inspired bass

Okay, so I mocked up the instrument using textures and decided on the following combinations:
mockup1.jpg

mockup2.jpg

The cavity cover will be straight black plastic to tie in with the pickup and hardware colour choice. An Ebony infill on the headstock ties up the other end nicely whilst the headstock logo plate ties in with the back of the neck and the fingerboard. The rod cover will either be plastic or Ebony depending on how it looks against the infill material. I'm actually tempted to bind the fingerboard with black ABS with hidden tang ends to stop the Wenge feeling like a big plain "island" of brown in between the headstock and the body.

Not much photography of work done today. The headstock template was shaped using 8mm MDF and temporarily screwed to the headstock through the tuner locations. Another few minutes on the pin router made short work of this shaping with no tearout whatsoever! Very impressive machine. The headstock was then thicknessed using the oscillating belt sander. This was carried out on the end table where the radius is, using a fence block parallel to the belt and "jamming" the headstock into the incoming belt holding the face flush to the fence. Slowly of course....not really jamming! The headstock was left at a nice 15mm with optional space left for a volute. I may not leave this volute in place, however I have the choice nonetheless.

The nut break point and 24th fret location points were established on the neck, allowing me to plan out the extent of the neck taper and thickness (45mm at the nut, 76mm at the 24th fret). The majority of the waste was bandsawn clear to within 2mm or so. The rear heel shape from the body was drawn onto the rear for reference, and the neck thickness taper drawn onto both (bandsawn) sides. The Ebony infill for the headstock was cut to size and sanded straight, ready for fitting.

The bevelling around the body was sketched on and the large faces taped "safe" to prevent any debris or whatever from scratching up the surface. The location of the side-mounted Neutrik locking jack was established and the bevelling "stops" marked to blend in the new flat part around the side of the body. The initial bevelling around the bottom of the instrument was carried out on a table router using a simple bearing-guided 45° cutter. This was taken from the inside of the bottom cutaway, around the bottom to the jack mounting point on both sides.
bodywork6.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately, not much chance to progress the build much this week! Other projects divide my time however things are moving nonetheless.

The body has been given a 45° bevel around the entire body except for the neck mounting area (I will shape this in myself by hand), the fishtail and the jack socket area. This is correct for the bottom half however the bevelling on the top half is a shallower angle to the body. I need to resharpen my cabinet scraper however it was sharp enough to make a start:

bodywork7.jpg

bodywork8.jpg

Not a massive update today as I still need to order more double-sided tape, Titebond, fretwire, truss rod....

I just realised that these are the first photos of the shaped headstock! This is a one-off jig glued and screwed together, with locating dowels in the tuner holes. This is for routing the recess into which I will be inlaying the Ebony infill. The slight discrepancy in the second photo is actually a gap because the headstock is not fully "in" and flush. It was merely in so I could glue and screw two pieces either side of the headstock to secure it in place.

headstock1.jpg

headstock2.jpg

More work carving the bevels around the body, especially on the upper scroll. The point at the front actually curls upwards towards the front which requires a bit of balancing and thought. I am undecided on whether to leave a tapered edge from the inner point to the outer scroll point or carve that into a sharp seam. Most of these things really do require feel and observation from various angles. Planning curves and visual aesthetics like these in CAD or on paper just don't compared to physical observation and decision-making.

RASP! (that's meant to sound like a fart)

bodywork9.jpg

Since the top horn is both tapered and "3D" the outer carve was carved over the line to be "brought back over" when carving the inner bevel. This helped maintain a nice flat angle. I guess you had to be there.

bodywork10.jpg

A bit of work using a finger sander (cheating....power tools are not tr00) to rough in awkward-to-reach areas.

bodywork11.jpg

More work around the scroll.

bodywork12.jpg

End of play. Still undecided on the transitions in the upper cutaway. Wide-ish adjacent to the neck, tapering to the inner point and from there widening and re-tapering up to the point of the scroll....

bodywork13.jpg

bodywork14.jpg

I hate the whole "feel" thing because of the arrogant connotations, but you can't deny that it is. Unless you are supremely good at planning curves in a 3D package where you can examine things from more than the plan/side views of 2D CAD there is a lot more work involved taking things from the screen to the wood. I have to say that I have pored over hundreds of photos of Carl's instruments to get it right, and in that respect I can't claim credit for any of the design. I just en-smallened the wood. :D

Sometimes Carl's builds just leave me agog, whether it be the audacity of the ideas, the sheer brilliance, insanity....

I do however see several points which could just be done better. Look at the string-through holes in that one for example.

I think mine will have more in common with this bass than anything else.

CIMG3253.JPG

CIMG3254.JPG

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=5518&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I have to say that I have pored over hundreds of photos of Carl's instruments to get it right,

I know that feeling- and I did the same thing- and I still got the carve wrong!- I carved a ball - as in round on all sides- the actual bass this was a copy of- actually has a flat section where he/they didnt carve the complete sphere. I didnt know this until I saw a side view of the bass on Carla Freestep's photo website. And it was too late to see that photo- I had already carved it. I had dozens of photos- and none showed the flat area. The dark walnut on the original "hides" the fact that the ball is actually flat on the very front of the bass. You dont see it unless the angle of the photo- or lighting is just exactly so.

008-3.jpg

So- you arent painting this one black right? (I think)- it would be a shame to cover up that wood- great carves so far man- looking forward to seeing this one. I dont know about you- but I really enjoyed the carving part of the build. Scary- but satisfying!

Again, very little progress today as I am concentrating on making a radius sanding jig for use on the horizontal band sander and perhaps even getting some 700mm long radius sanding beams cut on the CNC.

The scroll was refined and a sharp seam left from the upper cutaway through to the upper scroll point. The lower horn was also eased on the inside edge.

bodywork15.jpg

bodywork16.jpg

There's nothing better than a well set up router table. Since my neck sides are not straight in relation to the centre where the rod needs to go, I tapered a piece of Birch to correspond with the neck. Two holes were drilled halfway through and small screws inserted until they emerged on the mating face by a couple of mm. This was then pressed into the side of the neck and the rearmost screw advanced in a couple of turns since the end is to be cut off anyway. The centreline measured bang on 70mm from the edge, so I set the fence accordingly, took a test cut on some scrap and measured any difference. None....bang on. After marking the endpoint of the cut (minus the radius of the cutter) the neck was slotted in 1-2mm increments until a depth of 10mm was achieved. This is when the photo was taken.

To fit the adjuster and welded block end in, the fence was tapped with a hammer (in the background, actually) on one side one millimetre to achieve an offset at the centre of 0.5mm. I took the second cut after tapping the fence back 0.5mm the other side of 70mm. A 10mm bullnose cutter replaced the straight flute bit and was run through the centre (after resetting the fence) to create a rounded bottom for the adjuster and a round access hole.

After the rod was checked for fit, the glueing surface of the neck was run over the jointer with a 0.2mm depth of cut (I believe it too....very fine cut), the rod checked again for fit and siliconed in place with a strip of masking tape to keep it from being knocked out. The end of the neck was cut to length and the waste used along with a piece of Ebony to fashion a plug to fit over the truss rod adjuster. As of a couple of hours ago, this was glued in place and is drying overnight before I pick up the work again on Thursday.

Next I need to slot the fingerboard, taper it minus a couple of mm and glue on some more Wenge to self-bind the board. I am not going to go for a full semi-hemi job on this one since I am using stainless steel wire. All things being equal, the board should be being glued on by the end of play Thursday. From thereonin the neck will only be getting trimmed flush as the body needs work....

Okay, so today I slotted the board before cutting it to the adjusted taper. With splintery woods like Wenge, cutting the slots first before tapering is a better strategy otherwise it is far to easy to blow wood out from the ends. Of course, this can also happen when tapering a slotted board...! So anyway. After adjusting the taper from 45.0mm-(2x 2.5mm) at the nut to 75.0mm-(2x 2.5mm) at the 24th fret I glued Wenge strips cut from another board either side of the board to hide the fret slot ends. Although the grain matches it is not completely invisible, although this wasn't really the intention. This is a prototype practice model after all.

Here is the fingerboard in the clamps. The two pieces of scrap wedged between the cauls concentrate the pressure on the lower half of the cauls:

fingerboard1.jpg

After the glue had fully set up, the excess was scraped off and the lower faces of the binding strips scraped flush to the fingerboard with a cabinet scraper. The whole fingerboard was then thrown through (well as fast as about 40mm/sec can be called "throwing") the thickness sander to bring the top half flush with a couple of quick (well, not quick) passes on the underside also. Turns out the last person to use the thickness sander had junked up the belts with some white crap:

fingerboard2.jpg

The fingerboard was glued up to the neck and trimmed back on the pin router when dry:

neck10.jpg

Next week I plan on cutting the neck pocket into the body for a quick test fit and to mark out the heel prior to carving. Good times.

Now where is that 24mm Forstner bit to cut the jack socket channel? Grr.