Tweaked Explorer Build

So, I got back to work today on this.

I cut out the neck and routed the headstock and taper to shape. I also got the paduak fretboard slotted.

Just as i was getting ready to cut the fretboard ends off, my bandsaw started acting funny. Ever sicne i got it, at random times it wouldnt start, like the spindle was jammed, and i had to manually spin it to get it started. Then it stopped for a long time and never gave me trouble.

But today for some reason it acted up again, and the spindle on the lower wheel got so stiff i couldnt even turn it by hand. I think the bearings are shot or filled with sawdust. I still cant figure out how to get it off. I took off every pin and set screw. Have to look at it again tomorrow.

Alrighty,

So it was indeed the bearings. I blew them out with the air compressor and cleaned them and re oiled. Works better than it ever has now!

So i got the fretboard cut and just glued it on.

NOW,

Before you say there are not enough clamps... The piece of wood i used as a caul is about 1 1/4" thick. With those big clamps on there pressing that piece of wood, it presses it tigher than liek 20 clamps would do directly on the fretboard. It bascially becomes a press.

neckclamped001_zpsa2c5387c.jpg

neckclamped002_zps7c2b788d.jpg

I really love that extra decorative laminate in the headstock. Carl Thompson uses this same technique to get the maximum mileage out of his top woods, separating recovered pieces with decorative laminates. Why try and hide a glue line when you can make it into a feature? ;-)

This is one of three identical glueup tables where I study. One of the tables has had its clamps renewed and I really should have snagged the old ones. A bit of a cleanup and some Hammerite would have sorted them out! :-)

neck5.jpg

That is my thought exaxctly! There is nothing i hate more than an obvoius joint between 2 same woods. So why try to hide it, when you can put a matching wood in there, and get the best of both worlds?

Those would have been great to have! Too bad you couldnt snatch them up.

I just got the fretboard trimmed flush, and the board radiused. Going to fret it now.

I have made a few that were a bit thicker in the past, and they felt good also. I feel like the shape of the neck makes a lot more difference than the actual thickness. I Have made some that were around .89" that felt extremely thin, due to a more flat shape.

This one has a little bit more of a flat shape to it as well, but came out feeling a little thinner than i wanted. It still feels good, but could have been a hair thicker.

I'm tempted to play around with profiles a bit since I have always just scraped and sanded till they felt right and ended up with the same boring shape every time. Assymmetrical would be interesting. But anyway. Thicker necks have always made solid-sounding instruments unless the wood was crap. My Black n' Gold bass's neck is more like a Fender-ish feel and that sounds awesome.

When i had first started building, I had always tried making the thinnest possible necks, thinking that was the best. I made a few that were in the .79" range, and a few a bit thinner. I quickly realized that it was not nearly as comfortable as a more round, medium shaped neck.

I also prefer a neck that doesnt taper as much in thickness. I like it where its almost the same thickness to the heel.

Neck carved:

Neckcarved002_zps6f712f75.jpg

Neckcarved003_zps4fc040d4.jpg

• Like 2