3/4 Sized Guitars

My 8 year old son has started taking guitar lessons at school, and he needs to have his own guitar, so I'm gonna build him one. Anyone here built a 3/4 sized guitar?

From looking on the web it seems that 22.75" scale length is the norm, but what about body size, and neck width?

Would I reduce the neck width at the nut to accommodate small hands?

I might just buy him a cheap one to be getting on with, in which case I can take measurements from that.

Mind you, at the speed I build, he'll be on full sized guitars by the time it's finished anyway :D

I built guitars last year for my then 2 and 4 year olds. I shrunk the body size to 3/4 using CAD. Then I just took a 25.5" scale length and lopped of the first couple frets. I kept neck width and string spread standard so that I didn't have to use any special parts. Turned out great. There is a build thread around here somewhere on them.

Interesting. I had a thought about building one for my 5 year old daughter some day (that would probably not be ready before she turns 6 <_< ) but I was thinking 3/4 would be too big and though of something closer to 3/5 or so, maybe even dropping a string or two to make it simpler and make the fingerboard narrow. I will be following this (and digging for Ripthorn's build thread)

Nice tone in your singing voice.Sounds like you may have a bit of recording nerves...

i have horrible recording nerves.I have never had a problem on stage(except once when I dropped some acid like a dumbass and then was surprised with a request to play...what a nightmare that was),but turn on a microphone and I start stumbling through riffs I have played perfectly for years...i don't know what it is.I have thought that I should start recording all of my practice sessions just to get over it,but I haven't yet.

I think singing in front of people takes more balls than playing a guitar,at least that's the way it is for me.I trust my guitar not to crack.

And don't judge me too harshly for the drug references...it was over 20 years ago and I was a teenager... :rolleyes: