LP carved top Metal Jr

Japanese phillips and American phillips are not the same, I have a set of phillips screwdrivers (american), with the tip grounded up a little so they fit the Japanese screws perfectly.

I think you are talking about the difference between Reed & Prince and Phillips.R&P has a sharper tip than a phillips.

But that isn't it.I have a complete set of every type and size of screwdriver,and the Dunlop Straplocks are a #2 Phillips tip.The problem is that the round head is shallow and doesn't allow for enough torque to drive the super long Straplock screw with it's aggresive threads into harder woods like ebony.I usually go up a size in drill bits for harder woods,but the entire body is mahogany(not so hard) and I didn't think about the ebony heel I put on the neck...second time around I went up a size and it worked fine.

in today's world of outsourcing every damn thing all across the world you really have to have every possible type of screwdriver...

It was my fault for not thinking of the ebony.

• Like 1

Just fine tuned the nut a bit and set the intonation,then gave it a small workout.A guitar usually has to settle in for a few months or sometimes just a few weeks,especially when the build process is so quick,before you get the "real" tone of the guitar.This one kicks ass better right out of the gate than most of my guitars...hopefully once it gets a small break in period it will be as good or better than my Edwards(ESP CNC build assembled and set up in the custom shop.)

You know,it's getting really tough for me to get the scratches out of everything because my eyes won't seem to pick things out like they used to.I have to take my glasses off and bring the guitar inches from my face and even then I have a tough time telling scratches from standard wood grain.I guess that is why thick finishes just became so unrewarding.Much better just to sand the wood to 220 and rub on a sating finish.

I wonder what Hyunsu is up to these days.He was quite the guy,building hours into the night every night at the expense of sleep just to have to wake up and work at a regular job for godawful long hours.

I went to his house a few times in 2005 when I was in Korea, great guy. We worked on guitars till about 10pm because if I was there any late I will miss the subway's going back to my base. In fact Imissed the last connection in one of those trips and ended having to get a cab for the last few miles.

Last I saw him was in 2008 when he came to NY on a business trip and drove all the way to MD where I was stationed to visit. Since then I have PM'd him a few times but have gotten no reply.

Japanese phillips and American phillips are not the same, I have a set of phillips screwdrivers (american), with the tip grounded up a little so they fit the Japanese screws perfectly.

I think you are talking about the difference between Reed & Prince and Phillips.R&P has a sharper tip than a phillips.

But that isn't it.I have a complete set of every type and size of screwdriver,and the Dunlop Straplocks are a #2 Phillips tip.The problem is that the round head is shallow and doesn't allow for enough torque to drive the super long Straplock screw with it's aggresive threads into harder woods like ebony.I usually go up a size in drill bits for harder woods,but the entire body is mahogany(not so hard) and I didn't think about the ebony heel I put on the neck...second time around I went up a size and it worked fine.

in today's world of outsourcing every damn thing all across the world you really have to have every possible type of screwdriver...

It was my fault for not thinking of the ebony.

Couldn't agree more. I grew sick of driving in the actual screw using a head I thought was appropriate only to find it would skip once or whatever and ruin the screw's plating. I started driving in plain scrap screws (usually ones with ruined plating, surprisingly) that just matched the thread to cut instead. I thought that a sweet toolset addition to have would be a set of taps that fitted into a hex-mating screwdriver, then headslaprealised that a tap can just be chucked up instead. A waxed dress screw being fitted into a properly tapped hole is a thing of beauty.

finbarr.png