Buckeye Burl Wolfgang Special

t1r12003

I haven't posted a build in a while. I've also never worked with Buckeye Burl, so this should be interesting.

1 1/2" african mahogany 2 piece body rough cut with skill saw

photo.jpg

shaped with my router

photo2.jpg

gluing up the 1/4" buckeye burl top

photo3.jpg

Wolfgangburl.jpg

all glued to the body and about 10 minutes palm sanding. wet with naptha for a pic

0930120935.jpg

The larger voids and bark inclusions will get filled with black epoxy. The rest filled with CA glue. I haven't decided to leave the top natural or stain it. For some reason I'm thinking red would look good.

Edited by t1r12003

If you try to stain that it will be splotchy and never look right.Even I would never put any color on such a piece,but if you absolutely feel you just have to do it,the proper way to color such a piece is with translucent tints mixed into your finish.You apply the sealer coat(clear) and level that completely,then after the sealer coat is perfectly level you apply your tinted color coats...after you have those you apply clear as a topcoat.

You really have to know what you are doing.You need to save the scraps and practice on them with your finishing options until you are sure of what you need to do to get what you want

Burls have a lot of end grain showing in a lot of different directions. The end grain absorbs more dye than the rest of the wood, making it appear darker. When performed properly, you can get a sort of "dancing dark color" effect. Like Wes said, I would definitely try it out on some of the scrap pieces to make sure you like how it's going to turn out before you go ahead and dye the big piece.

I usually save dye for woods with a pattern on it, like flamed and quilted stuff. Burls are so random that in my eyes, it would look a little splotchy... But I wouldn't know with that piece, as all pieces are different. I'd be interested in seeing some of the scrap dyed.

Well,think of it this way..if you dye it, when you take it out and people see it,a ton of people are going to be asking "Why did you stain that top?You don't color burl!"

But nobody will ever say "Why didn't you color the guitar red?Everyone knows you should dye burl because the natural color variations always suck!" <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Routed the pickup cavities. I'm waiting on a black/cream Bill Lawrence for the bridge, but for the pic I threw in this black one. Filled the large voids with black epoxy and used super glue on a lot of the top so far. It looks splotchy now because I didn't wet the top for the pic and I'm still in between passes with more superglue.

1030121404.jpg

And next to the original for reference

1030121407.jpg