Name That Wood!

I've built about 3-4 guitars so I'm still in the training stages and I have the itch to build a LP Jr.

I have had this bed headboard in my basement and got curious what type of wood it is. There is a huge slab of 4/4 hardwood in part of these headboards, and I have two of them. It feels hard with a "scratch test", it has a yellowish tint, has a relatively tight grain, chisels smoothly and easily. Any clues what it is and if it is any good for a guitar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

8136110864_dba5447ae4.jpg

Good point, it does kind of look like poplar now that you mention it. Both sides of the headboard have a laminate, which looks to be a fairly think piece of walnut laminate (1/16" or so). I pulled the laminate away from one side to see what was underneath. You can see part of the splintered laminate in the shot. If it is poplar I would probably go for that. There are worse woods. Thanks!

Anyone else have a guess?

Good point, it does kind of look like poplar now that you mention it. Both sides of the headboard have a laminate, which looks to be a fairly think piece of walnut laminate (1/16" or so). I pulled the laminate away from one side to see what was underneath. You can see part of the splintered laminate in the shot. If it is poplar I would probably go for that. There are worse woods. Thanks!

Anyone else have a guess?

ok poplar makes some since now it would make a good base to put a laminat over.

if you look to the left side of the pic at the back piece you can see on the edge a hair line where two boards are seperating. it also looks like the laminate is gone on that back piece atleast in the photo and thats wood for sure. im gonna go with solid wood with a thin laminate.

• 2 weeks later...

Poplar is an exellent wood for a solid body and would be great when used with a P90 pickup like you'd expect to see in an LP Jr. I know Taylor has used poplar in their acoustics. Martin has been experementing with poplar for back/sides and for necks. It seems like poplar is becoming more popular due to the scarcity of some common "guitar" woods.

Edited by zyonsdream