Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have surpassed me in the tool department.

I may or may not have just bought a 3hp, 2200cfm twin bag dust extractor today.

Got yet another deal too good to be true. Walked into my tool shop to buy more sandpaper and was asking about a certain dust extractor I'd been looking at and he came back with: he can get me one cheaper and more powerful. Then follows up with he has one out the back that he has to send back as it's got a wrong length pole in it (to hold the bag) and the body of it is all twisted. I looked it over, nothing I cannot fix easily and asked how much. He gave it to me at cost price as it's cheaper for him to sell to me at cost than it is to freight it back.

Just need to find the time to put it together now as it's un assembled. Looks like this though:

dc-2200%20dust%20extractor2.jpg

Good work. You just need a briquette press for your heater now.

Nope - I need airconditioning!!!

If customers saw me carving necks wearing only underwear and shoes on the mid 40 deg cel days (where its hotter in the workshop) they would only buy guitars in winter!

With that said though, I've fixed one of the ceiling fans which has been stuffed for years and now I've got two massive air filters, so I'll have air flow now. Should be WAY more bearable in there.

Anyone that watched the video's know that on smaller laminations I use my fingers, but when doing larger ones, I use a roller.

I started a small run of superstrats today, these have three piece necks and this lamination will yield five neck blanks with minimal timber waste.

Here are the glue up pics:

IMG_6156small_zpsfab16bfc.jpg

IMG_6157small_zpsa06ab568.jpg

IMG_6160small_zps4ed192ca.jpg

IMG_6162small_zps787dac16.jpg

I planned on having all five headstocks scarf jointed today and the fingerboards cut and slotted, but I spent more time stuffing around with the new drum sander trying to get it setup than I did doing woodwork today.

The paper I bought for it is crap, keeps clogging up with the rosewood and the two drums weren't horizontal which took me a long time to mess around with. It's still not right yet.

Long story short I had to drum sand the fingerboards with my old drum sander which really pissed me off that this new $2800 retail sander is jerking me around. Need to set aside a day to just set it up right. I'm guessing the previous owner played and had no idea what he was fiddling with then took it back for a refund.

4x Rosewood and 1x Ebony.

1236127_513269858754853_1311926303_n.jpg

Interesting. I for some reason thought the second pic was of different fretboards.

I have never seen rosewood with that kind of coloring.

Same boards, its just that they've been slotted and in a different order. The surface is the same as in the first pic they were fresh from the drum sander. Only change is the slots and the camera angle.