Build 3 : Pgm Hardtail Esque

bob123

No one cares about initial cuts, so I waited till I had something to show! :P Basically I want a PGM style guitar, think 401 meets 301 meets 90th lol.

As usual, Im totally down with criticism both good and bad, if you see something I need to do better, or have some advice for this build, let me know!

Specs ->

edit: forgot to mention, ALL the maple is from the same tree! Hopefully providing some kind of synergy for resonance and tone perhaps. I know its purely voodoo, but all the same, cool when I can do it.

NECK -> Flame maple sides, jatoba stringer, flame maple fretboard, non adjustable stainless truss bar, medium jescar frets. Suprisingly the jatoba was NOT difficult at all to work with.

BODY -> Flame maple.... lets call it "half" since its massive haha, tulipwood back

HARDWARE -> black hardware, gotoh tuners, black locking nut, black hardtail bridge with chrome roller saddles

FINISH -> going for a violin burst ala 401, but with natural binding on the edges

this finish would be ideal p2_u5x1c5fsz_so.jpg

Anyway, on to pictures:

This is my volute idea, asymetrical, and comforms to my hand PERFECTLY, I dig it a LOT

dscf0094tn.jpg

Same deal with the neck joint, Im going for a more beefy, asymetrical AANJ style, but with more mass (more tone/sustain hopefully?) I have an exact template made from the neck joint I made out of mdf, so it will match the dscf0095z.jpgbody perfectly when I get to that point.

Always had issues with shaping the headstock thickness, so I just did it the easy way this time! ran it through a bandsaw, and I was pretty blown away at how accurate it got from just the saw and about 30 seconds of sanding lol

dscf0096o.jpg

Reverse headstock of course...

dscf0097qz.jpg

top with a smidge of oil on top to show some of the grain, I have a scrap peice ive been testing on, and its going to POP when its all done :)

dscf0098t.jpg

Chunky body :D

dscf0099da.jpg

together of course :P

dscf0101hn.jpg

Edited by bob123

Gotta agree with Scott. Fake F holes suck, its like a V8 badge on a prius.

But - stain will not work neatly enough, so decal or pain is the only real way to go here. Unless you inlay a darker timber for them.

Personaly i would do real F holes, or at least recess them 3mm into the body. Just opinion but as Scott said - you did ask.

• Like 1

Being a tribute does not mean you have to stick to the spec of the production model too closely. Just stick to the original design concept - & then do what ever you feel like doing from there.

I mean this is supposed to be a JS http://www.aeolianguitars.com/flamed-satch-lotus-asl10

But the production models are nothing along the construction involved here. I say do the inlay, Go nuts man :hyper

We'll see on the inlay! Id LOVE to do that, Im just not positive of my inlay abilities yet :( I have some spare bits of super figured walnut that would just be killer though...

anywho, working on shaping the body. I gotta build the jig for the fretting, so Im waiting on that to work more on the neck (not much left to do really).

I can't believe how much of a pain the arse this was to do... Figured just sanding it down a little bit, good to go. NOPE, it was uneven and looked like crap, so I took a sanding block went to town. After about 45 minutes of that (hard maple :( ) I went at it with a scraper which got it looking real nice! BTW, I ALWAYS dye everything black so I now where Im working and I can see hard lines if I need them. To make the line solid and crisp (it is, the picture isnt very good), I took a block and clamped in the body at the right angle to get a solid line to run the scraper against. Worked real well!

dscf0112o.jpg

And with the back contour, I was pretty shocked when the figure jumped out at me lol With luck, the flame will go through the whole board :P That said, this side was exactly as I had expected it to be, nice and easy. Same deal, went at it with power sander, block sanded, then used the scraper to get it going right.

dscf0113ob.jpg

I swear, something must have "clicked" in my head, this is going much faster and smoother then my previous attempts! My axis guitar is almost finished, I just gotta assemble it, but in the mean time... Got a seemingly large amount of work done today, but it didnt take me very long... LOTS of work shaping the body, hard maple is so ridiculously difficult to shape accurately , I keep getting "bumps" or whatever even though im block sanding! But its coming out well, and Im about done with shaping part. Got the neck pocket routed out, and about done shaping the heel, but I still have some work to do obviously.

With neck attached:

dscf0114gs.jpg

JUST KIDDING.... Im sure somehow steve vai started crying....

anyway, the black isnt a gap its black dye, I'll get some better pictures tomorrow.

dscf0115j.jpg

Heel is coming out exactly how I imagined it. AANJ + more mass + ergonomic = better? :P Still have some straightening out to do, but its coming along swimmingly. As a personal preference, every guitar I make and modify introduces the clooney scoop :P I dont know why its not standard on EVERY guitar, its not "uglier" and feels soooo much better then a squared up block of wood.... Is it trademarked or something?

dscf0116ml.jpg

With neck attached, again, the black is dye, not gaps lol

dscf0118m.jpg

Edited by bob123

• 2 weeks later...

comin along... got all the routing and shaping done today. Finished sanded to 320. Smooth enough for me... I must say, Im very proud of this one. Its coming along very nicely, Im thrilled I can make something like this happen out of bare wood. Its not perfect, but I love it.

20121126193047.jpg

Note the router jump on the neck pocket. Any thoughts on that one? Im debating on cutting it off at the jump and rounding it over...

20121126193110.jpg

Well... this turned out quite a bit different then I was hoping. I made a miscalculation, but luckily I had enough room to turn this into a 7 string beast!

color, style, everything changed tonight to accomodate the changes. It worked out stupid well, and despite the change, Im still thrilled with this.

That said, I got a LOT of work done. I need to finish the back and sides, but everytrhing is routed, drilled, and sanded down.

the color!

20121127193701.jpg

I cant wait to get this thing playing! bridge is aligned/drilled, pup cavities are where I wanted them, color is fantastic (imo). I will spend more time straightening out the faux binding, and make sure the color stays constant. Barring that Im close to completion. Need to finish sand the back, stain, install the ferrules, and seal it up.

20121127202617.jpg

Oh you mean comparison to the previous color.

Yes yes, this is the color I wanted, I dilluted a dark red to give me purple, as my friend asked me to do a purple guitar :P

Im not overly concerned, the whole project changed when I routed the neck pocket incorrectly.

guess I should say what happened. In my haste, I measure from the center glue line. Well, stupid me didnt realize even think about the glue line being off center, so my cut wound up being based from a wrong position and it cut the neck join at an angle. Luckily, I had JUST enough room to widen it for a 7 string neck slot to get it straight and true to the body, not the glue line... more "live and learn".

that said, Im not scared of the router any more, was pretty nice having templates this time.

Edited by bob123

I would be tempted to put on some more concentrated dark red, then do another sand back and reapply the purple. It does look a little washed out don't you think?

From the photo alone, Id agree with you completely! I actually saw it and went "***?". I dont know if its the flash on the camera, the lighting, or what, but in person the finish is very even and the color is pretty much where I want it.

These "light spots" disappear depending on the angle of the light, Im quite unsure how to make that not happen without doing a purple tinted clear coat.

dyecomparison.png

heres a comparison shot, taken of the exact same spot, just different angle. It shows up VERY dark one way, and VERY light the other. If theres a way to... kind a blend that in more, I dunno...

20121129182008.jpg

20121129182015.jpg

Edited by bob123