Peters Vixen Semi Hollow: Quilted Redwood With Curly Black Limba

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

That limba is beautiful and the workmanship looks top notch. I really like how you did the cavity cover, I'm going to try that out on a 1 piece mahogany blank I've got.

im not sure my way is the best way of doing but it works though.

cut y finger open with a utility knife yesterday, so to keep the typing to a minimum I'll just say that I decided to go with a 3 ply binding instead of the single ply I already had installed. This is what insued..

8466081633_a4778a2c24_z.jpg

Untitled by Peters Instruments, on Flickr

8466079537_623864bcfe_z.jpg

8467177546_e53e66bc88_z.jpg

8466078407_376eda9d3b_z.jpg

I got the fretboard glued on and started binding the it this afternoon, i only had enough binding for one side I'm still waiting for another strip to come in the mail, but I got my channels routed though. I got a new old fixture to use with my trim router for doing binding, and this afternoon i made a jig to use with it for binding my necks (it will also work with my over arm router for roughing the carve out with a 3/4" roundover) that works a lot nicer than just running it on the router table.

8469966148_308379aa4d_z.jpg

8468869121_90cfb2c628_z.jpg

8468866119_27576fdef4_z.jpg

I rebuilt my over arm router recently, its still not an industrial router by any means, but it does get the job done. one of these days when I move to a new shop and have more room Ill rebuild it one more time from steel.. but thats besides the point. Since rebuilding it and upgrading the router it has become a much more useful tool and I'm able to do much more with it. for example, I can now easily set it up to do a rough carve on my necks, which saves quite a bit of time.

8498287877_0683995281_z.jpg

Here is the rough carve after two passes on the router, it turned out quite well.

8498286257_b2944d37ed_z.jpg

Yesterday I started the hand shaping of the neck and man does that round over reduce the work, with the dragon rasp, a good cleanup file and a cabinet scraper I'll bet I had a more or less refined carve inside of 20 min, it was great. I need to wait to carve the volute until I get some maccassar ebony to put a veneer on with. I just ordered a gorgeous piece from gilmer yesterday and it will be the source for the veneer, and all the other wood fittings and appointments dotted about the guitar. I won't do any carving on the heal until the neck is set, and thats when I'll do the final refinments to the rest of the neck as well.

I'm thinking about making a fixture to hold my neck solid at both ends that sit on a pedestal for use while carving. has anyone made something like that before? It'd be nice to see some other ideas before jumping in and making it.

8508024943_1cdb53de43_z.jpg

here is neck with a little alchohal to show the curl, its not super strong, but it's still gorgeous in my mind.

8509131442_30e5d0df93_z.jpg

well I got out the neck jig yesterday and got through routing out five neck pockets, among them was this build. It was the first one that I did for that day, so it did not turn out as absolutely snug as I would like for it to, but it's still a plenty good joint though. you can pick up the guitar by the neck with no issued and its not been glued in yet. this neck jig is based off what myka uses with a few changes of my own.

8514587790_ff6771309c_z.jpg

8514586592_5296200d0b_z.jpg

8514585428_a3cc71f197_z.jpg

8513474493_0a1e25e2c5_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That headstock back veneer looks great! Pure class.

Thanks, I really like the way it came out, most of the hardware willl be coming from that same piece of wood.

Great looking build. It blows my mind now much that redwood looks like bubinga.

I think you'll probably change your mind once it has finish on it, or maybe if you could see it in person, it has some similarities in color to bubinga, but its pretty distinctive I think.

Didn't get a whole lot done that I can actually show as progress shots this week, but I did carve the heel and more or less finish that part up.

8576506241_04231cb587_z.jpg

8576872067_608497ffb5_z.jpg

I have seen it used so many times I assume it does pretty well. On the whole limba reminds me a lot of mahogany, the way it feels and works, the weight, so I am expecting a neck that behaves similarly, but this is my first experience using it so I am still learning about it, I guess I'll see once its all finished.