Loose Fit For Neck Pocket - What To Do?

So I'm halfway through a build and everything is great until I routed the neck pocket with no taper, so the neck is tight at the tenon but has about 1-2mm of slop at the edge of the body. This is my first set neck.

I'm thinking of mixing some sawdust in with Titebond and just gluing it up. Is there a big problem with this? Otherwise I could make a really, really thin shim, but it seems difficult to make a shim that small. It's not a huge gap, but it's enough to be annoying. I mostly care about the joint being solid (I can live with a 1mm thick glue line).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yes I have a very important thought...do not glue that joint with titebond it will fail with a gap that large.But some 24 hour epoxy and use that instead..T 88 is a good brand.

Epoxy is the best glue to fill a gap,regardless of what Gorilla Glue claims...T 88 or similar will give you the strongest joint under those conditions and your finish will not sink into it either

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you have a good tight template, routing a good clean tight fit will be easier, especially if your shim is much oversized. There is no reason you cannot sand a shim to fit tight and clean though. Both will work fine, it just depends where your skills lie as to which method you choose.

SR

• Like 1