I am working on this years Art Guitar Auction donation. As with every year I have come up with a unique themed instrument. This years guitar is going to have a vintage fishing theme. Like last years Texas guitar it will have a resin cast body with fishing lures and very weather wood embedded.

For the fretboard, I took 2 different woods, Flamed Maple and Rosewood, and cut out a wave-like pattern. They were taped together and I ran them through the bandsaw. Then I glued them back together. I did this least year and it turned out good. I also wanted to try compound radiusing the fretboard. I found a great radiusing jig on Youtube by C Monck. I did a 10" - 14" radius. This jig is legit. I will try to do a demo video to show how easy it is to compound radius.

tumblr_mju0e9QEHh1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mju0uyHmrt1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

More to come!

Here's a shot of last years resin cast guitar. Spalt Instruments is well known for doing this type of resin casting. The options are endless with this and it makes a good sounding guitar. This years will only be partially resin cast mixed with a solid wood core/pick guard.

533272_10150958680946228_973694715_n.jpg

Any advice on resin casting?

I'll try to document it on this build. My one main learning is to follow the directions. You have to be accurate on measurements and mixing times or it won't cure right.

I use a wooden base to start with. I'll add my elements on top, laying out my design. Last night I glued down the wood. I'll route it flush with the base and seal everything with shellac. If you don't the bubbles will never stop. After that I will start making the walls out of packing tape. (Photos to come) This will give me my area to pour the resin in. I need to read the instruction, but I think you pour layers about 1/4" think. More to come.

599709_10151583614631228_381144625_n.jpg

More neck work. The neck is built and fretted. Like I mentioned in my first post the fretboard is compound radiused. My first to do. Everything looks good. I am going to do a light fret job this weekend. I also added a split veneer of walnut/maple to the headstock.

tumblr_mk905omIPA1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mkmqfy92vo1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mkol504Qtv1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

Quick update. I have the resin poured. Ended up doing 4 pours. It came out really nice. I did shoot video so I hope to soon put up a tutorial video. I will be removing all the molding tonight to review the final look of the resin. More to come.

tumblr_ml0v736tAk1qkj544o1_1280.jpg

Are you manually rounding the edges on that resin, or is that curve just from the surface tension?

I was able to get most of it by filling the resin till it almost spilled over. I think I heard it called capsulation. I still had to go back and flat sand the top and round the edges off more, much like lacquer.

• 2 weeks later...

That is sweet. I just noticed that you made use of a void in the wood to display those two lures, very cool.

Looks like someone is chasing a golf ball on your pond.......

SR

Thanks SR. I did design it to use the splits in the ends to have the lures pocking through. I even painted the back dark blue to give a little water effect.

Funny that there were people in the shot. I got up at the crack-o-dawn to take the picks.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked up a video to demo how the guitar sounds. I am pleased with the tone and the playability of the guitar. I really like the compound radius neck. The set up was really easy.

I forgot to ask earlier Rob, how much did that poured top add to the weight of the guitar? Oh and it sounds quite nice btw.

SR

Thanks Scott. It adds some weight, but I counter it with a lighter back wood. I used spanish cedar for the back. It weights a little less than a solid body tele.

• 6 months later...