Shirtman's Set Neck

Update due.

I was on the fence about the layered binding on this before I decided to actually do it. This snag with the allparts binding changed my mind up for me and I went ahead and did straight cream. It should all tie in now.

Heres a pic of the cheapo binding laminator I made and was using before my snag happened.

IMG_0544_zps547666dc.jpg

Since my cream binding wasn't tall enough to cover my inner horns the way I wanted them to I made me a binding router jig. I used a very common design using drawer slides. The only real mod I made to it was making some slots so I could slide the piece that the base was attached to out to make it easier to mess with. It locks in using cut off nails set at an angle.

IMG_0549_zpsa8d04238.jpg

IMG_0548_zpsce1611bc.jpg

The trim router was on sale at HF for 28 bucks. Total out of pocket was less that fifty bucks.

IMG_0547_zps908fc43f.jpg

Heres another simple but handy jig I made for drilling side dots straight and consistent. Wish I could take credit for it but I snagged it from another forum. I cant remember where though.

IMG_0559_zpse14ae47e.jpg

It works like a charm.

IMG_0557_zps31c93792.jpg

I got the headplate and fretboard glued on and its ready to fret.

IMG_0563_zps17c2ae30.jpg

Shot of the body binding. After installing wood binding on my previous builds this was a cinch. I used no glue, just acetone. It came out with no gaps to fill which was a bonus. It took longer to scrape it flush than it did to install.

Before I did this I had to shim and recut the side of my neck pocket because it wasnt quite as tight as I wanted it to be. It probably would have worked fine and I was probably nit picking but I wanted it to have a nice snug fit so it would transfer vibrations properly.

IMG_0560_zpsb494bb9f.jpg

Almost ready for the neck carve. One of my favorite parts of a build.

IMG_0561_zps599bfca1.jpg

Thats it for now.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been busy with out of town guests for the last two weeks. I did manage to get this fretted though.

IMG_0566_zps83ff44dd.jpg

IMG_0567_zpsbabf7228.jpg

And made another jig. I wanted to have this be adjustable so I could clamp any headstock angle in it but I got lazy and a little inpatient.

I do another one someday when I have more time.

IMG_0564_zpsda572863.jpg

IMG_0565_zps17d1f5c5.jpg

That IS a tasty burger!

I can't usually get 'em myself because my girlfriend's a vegitarian which pretty much makes me a vegitarian. But I do love the taste of a good burger. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?

For this neck I just used my newly acquired surform, a spoke shave, and a scraper. Those surforms just power through wood. The carve went remarkable quick because of it. So quick in fact that I'm a little disappointed because I enjoy this part so much. Start to finish it too about 2.5 hours. :(

IMG_0569_zpse7e6362b.jpg

IMG_0571_zps9060ea7b.jpg

IMG_0570_zpseca93b3e.jpg

I'm having second thoughts on the pickups and hardware for this. My original plan was to use zebra pickups but I'm having a problem matching the cream parts consistently and its frustrating the hell out of me.

I really liked the bridge I used on the last two builds so I'm also thinking about using another Schroeder in place of the TOM. I think the only reason I was going to use a TOM was to save a few bucks which is kind of silly in the grand scheme of things. The problem is they are out of stock on the chrome version for at least another six weeks. But they do have nickel in stock so I'm thinking of doing everything in nickel now. This means ditching the chrome gotoh's I was going to use because they dont come in nickel. I don't want to use Grovers so I'm leaning towards nickel Sperzel's along with nickel covered Duncans unless any of you know of any other decent tuners that are offered in nickel. I've searched high and low and there doesn't seem to be many options in nickel sealed tuners.

Anyways that way I'll get my Schroeder bridge without having to wait six weeks and I only have to match my pickup rings and not the rings and bobbins. And before anyone brings it up I dont want to use a pigtail.

I also need a little input. I'm about ready to glue the neck so I can I finish the heel transition. Being that this is my first set neck should I partially grain fill the neck and body before gluing or just do it all at one time after I glue the neck and finish the transition?

JW

Cool, you've got a book matched neck!

I'm pretty sure Gotoh makes a nice wraparound. You should check that out and see if the chome version of it fits your needs.

I save all my grain filling and finishing for last and do it all at the same time. I would think you would loose some of what you filled if did it before you finish the transition.

SR

Cool, you've got a book matched neck!

I'm pretty sure Gotoh makes a nice wraparound. You should check that out and see if the chome version of it fits your needs.

I save all my grain filling and finishing for last and do it all at the same time. I would think you would loose some of what you filled if did it before you finish the transition.

SR

Thanks for the advice Scott.

And thanks for the bridge recommendation. That looks pretty similar to what I used last time and its a whole lot cheaper at 60 bucks vs $160 for the Schreoder with studs.

Now right after my last post I pulled the trigger on a Duncan Sh-11/SH2 set with nickel covers from ebay so I'm half committed to nickel now.

I'd grab the Gotoh bridge but I cant find it in nickel anywhere here in the states. I guess I could swap out the nickel covers for chrome covers if I had to.

I just made another offer to this ebay seller for a zebra duncan JB/59 set as a back up. Now I can't make up my freakin mind and I'm going in circles. :huh:

I've been considering reviewing the Graph Tech ResoMax bridges recently and I noticed that they do wraparounds too. They're pretty sweet gear.

I was checking those out. They look pretty cool but the pre notched saddles Look kinda wonky. I'm wondering if you could swap em out for some TOM saddles.

The ebay seller accepted my offer so now I have two sets of pickups in the mail.

So anyone know where I can find pickup covers that will match cream Duncan bobbins?

:blink:

You need to figure out the spacing on the bobbins.

Most Duncan HBs come in 3 spacings

49.2mm (Vintage)

50mm (Neck F Spaced)

55mm (Bridge F Spaced)

Once you figure that out the rest is simply a matter of ordering the right covers. Mojotone has all three spacings in Nickel, Chrome, Gold and they are readily marked. Allparts caries all of the sizes as well but it is more fun trying to figure out what spacing they are on their site.

Thank you and I hope so.

I did another magnetic truss cover. Ebony on top of cream ABS. It went a little faster this time but not by much.
I'm going to have to figure out a jig to make it faster and easier to do this.

IMG_0582_zps1751beda.jpg

IMG_0583_zps5c0dab2c.jpg

I used a number 7 gouge and a beer to get it to the rough shape I wanted and then switched to a surform and a grinder.

IMG_0574_zps198d059a.jpg

IMG_0576_zpsd5ec858b.jpg

IMG_0575_zps4164c6e3.jpg

I was trying to get an ergonomically friendly shape while still tying into the contour at the butt end by the cavity cover.

IMG_0578_zps4e706171.jpg

IMG_0586_zpsa94ff5cb.jpg

IMG_0587_zpsbc751538.jpg

IMG_0584_zps79f0b688.jpg

I need to install my bridge and I'm ready for finishing.

And I almost forgot. Speaking of finishing. I acquired some new toys.

One of my neighbors is long term loaning me a 33 gal compressor with hoses that was gathering dust in his garage.

IMG_0590_zpsde018a1b.jpg

I also scored some HVLP guns from a friend who bought them to paint a project his garage and wont be using them again. IMG_0589_zpsb849a243.jpg

Moving forward I decided on some Mohawk stringed instrument lacquer for this. A local supplier here has it for $48 a gallon but was sold out and wouldn't restock it for 2-3 weeks. The next closest Mohawk distributor was 35 miles away but they had some in stock for $36 a gallon. Better yet they had a delivery van that went down to San Diego a few times a week and they could drop it off for me no charge.

When they delivered it they brought Behlen and the not Mohawk I thought I ordered. The delivery guy told me its the same thing. I called Mohawk customer service and they confirmed its same exact formula. The only difference is the label. I guess Behlen is targeted for consumers and Mohawk is targeted for industrial guys and they have sell it like that because of the laws governing distribution of solvents.

IMG_0591_zpsc02860cd.jpg

So in case anyone has ever wondered, Behlen and Mohawk stringed instrument lacquer are exactly the same. Just thought I'd share. Who knew right?

I've logged quite a few hours using high pressure guns when I was younger but that was a while ago. I haven't picked one up for 25 years.

I've never used an HVLP gun. I'm sure its not that different but it should be interesting to figure out. I've got some experimenting to do.

It's great seeing you continue to pick up your game with confidence John. Your "second" build fully deserved its GOTM win, and I am sure that I am not alone in wanting to see what you do next!

Also, both containers have a different idea of what a gallon is in Metric.

I used a number 7 gouge and a beer to get it to the rough shape

Man after my own heart.

I was trying to get an ergonomically friendly shape while still tying into the contour at the butt end by the cavity cover.

And succeeded nicely. Get your mojo back?

She's nicely feminine from the front, very fine curves. Is she comfy?

And good news for us, based on your lacquer purchase, you've got several more builds in your future.

Are you going to spray the neck?

SR