Kea's Guitar Build Thread

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Got it all sanded up and sprayed.

I made the big mistake of spraying at night. I coudlnt see how it was spraying and ended up spraying just a bit too thick. Got 2 mini runs on it.

The burl didnt take the clear well at all. Some places it absorbed it and others it didnt stick to it. I will probably have to use an oil finish on the top.

On a side note,

It feels amazing and is probably the lightest super strat ever.

The burl didnt take the clear well at all. Some places it absorbed it and others it didnt stick to it. I will probably have to use an oil finish on the top.

I fill the burl tops with epoxy (then level) before trying to shoot clear over them. Works really well. I will not do a burl top again without using epoxy to seal the voids first.

That is pretty much what i did. I filled the voids with black epoxy. It wasnt even the voids that had the problem. It was the smooth parts that seemed to not want to take the clear.

I used an epoxy that was drawn into the wood. System Three Mirror Coat. Basically it is the same idea as drenching a top in CA but without the annoying yellowing and foam.

Burl needs to be stabilized that is all there is too it. You have to basically get it to stop soaking thing up. The best way I know to do that is with a water thin epoxy.

That is true. I figured since the plain parts seemed fine, that it wouldnt have a problem, especially only being veneer. Another lesson learned.

Hey we all learn them. I wouldn't say it is too late to try and fill the soft spots with a high solids sanding sealer.

I am learning my own lessons on not pore filling with my latest finishing job... and I should know better.

Yes sir, 100% quartered. LMI always has amazing fretboard woods.

I got it sprayed last night. The back and neck sprayed amazingly perfect. The top, not so much. Again, should have sealed the redwood with something. Maybe one day i will learn.

So that pretty much ruins the whole finish again. Unless i can somehow just refinish the top.

I could, but it is going to shrink back like it always does. It will just keep soaking in and drying. Eventually it would stay, maybe.

the redwood burl EXP i had finished about a month ago shrunk back so much you could see the shape of the grain through it, and that was with 2 coats of poly, 3 coats of high solids sanding sealer, and then 3 more coats of poly.

The sides and back are open grained. You really only have one shot at that. If i spray over that again it will just look like a bad clear coat job.

So,

With this MASSIVE cold front that we have coming through, all my stuff will be postponed. I have 4 guitars that need to be refinished out of the last 5 that i have built. So i guess those wont be done for quite a while.

I will also not be able to make any more until i sell more, since i have put everything i had into the past 5 guitars i have built, without gaining anything back so far.

I really wish i could do a professional job on clear coats. Something just always goes wrong. I feel that my woodwork and actual guitar construction is always near flawless, and can compete with the best of the best. But the finish is always what keeps it from being a world class guitar.

You just need to learn to fix finishing mistakes,that's all.No finish is ever flawless in my experience until it is patched up.Maybe you should just switch to something with good burn in so that you can drop fill and patch when you need to,then after leveling and buffing it will be flawless.

Well, the issues i have had lately are ones i haddnt actually had before. with the burl redwood and the mappa burl, it just soaked it in an didnt build up finish. That kind is always fixable, because i can just level it and spray more until it is level.

But again, after that, no matter what finish i use it always ends up shrinking after i buff it for some reason. It will look immaculate for about 2 weeks then every single microscopic scratch wills how up and the finish ends up looking unsmooth.

I found a new finish the other day that i want to try. It is made for table tops and bar tops, so it is supposed to be rock hard. I will see if that lives up to its name.